SIMI dealer not providing VIN & Cert details - Should I walk away ?

RedTop

I am interested in a 3 year old car for sale at a SIMI dealer who is over 2 hours drive away so I want to run a motorcheck.ie report on it before I take the trouble to drive there. I asked the dealer for the VIN and Cert details but they declined to give me the details, and seemed annoyed at my lack of trust. Does this mean I should walk ? Even if I drove there to view it, I would still run the motorcheck as I would be able to get the VIN & Cert details in person, but I'd rather have the details before I take a day off work. Feedback ?

Update on the above .... Dealer agreed that it was OK to send the AA or a mechanic to check out the car. If I got a refusal on this request, then I would definitely walk, but considering they agreed without any objections, I am inclined to push ahead. Still wondering why they would not give me VIN & Reg Cert details up front though. Do SIMI dealers only do this in person ?

I would walk away, QUICKLY!

If they have that attitude before you buy the car what are they likely to be like if you have a problem. There is absolutely no legitimate reason not to give you the information you asked for. Sending the AA to check the car is a no risk situation for the dealer, if there is a problem there's a chance that the AA may miss it and the dealer isn't out of pocket, you are though by about €300 if I remember correctly.

I've never had a garage refuse to let me send the AA or mechanic as its no loss to them but I've had some refuse to bring it to a mechanic, it costs them time and a small amount of money, so if they show reluctance at this its likely the mechanic will find some issue, one the seller is probably aware of and knows will be found.

Once again, I'd walk away but ask to speak to the garage sales manager and tell him why, their sales staff are only encouraging mistrust.

D

Why not ring SIMI at 01 6761690 and tell them, let them get the dealer to provide you with the information. Thats what they say they are there for.

An AA or other mechanic might not be in a position to spot if a car has been clocked or previously written off, so do not rely on such a check. Do a car history check and if the dealer will not let you walk.

The SIMI have their own car history check as well but I dont know how reliable it is. I suspect you would be better to get an independent check.

Back