Health Insurance signing up to "new" health insurance regime with a view to abandonment i yr later

vesuvius

Hi

i'm 49 yrs old,single ,no dependents, in good health.

I will sign up for a health plan b4 the deadline to avoid a 30% loading down the line.

If i ,say, one year down the line decide to abandon the policy ( with a view to re-entering the insurance market at say,age 60)- based on the facts as they stand today- have i avoided this 30% loading?

I'm aware that should i do the above- it's up to me to take the consequences.

Basically, from a "cynical" perspective- if i sign up b4 30 april for 1 year, drop the policy after 1 year- then resign up at say, age 60- have i avoided a 30% loading ( based on the rules as they stand today).

i will check this out with the insurance co's next week- but i'd be interested in your advices.
thanks in advance
vesuvius

If you take out a new policy after the 30 April, you will be charged 2% for every year over the age of 34.

You will get credit for each year of insurance.

So at age 60, you would face a loading of (60 -34) = 26 x 2% = 54%.
Less the one year's insurance you had, so it will be 52%.

The other thing to remember is that if you wait until you are 60 you'll have a considerable waiting period for pre-existing conditions. If you wait until 60 before joining you'd have to wait 5 years before being entitled to claim.

Back