Sign Language training

Pique318

Hi All,
Would anyone know where would I look to find a course in Sign Language?
I've been threatening to learn how to sign for quite some time and this year I'm gonna do something about it.
There are very few ways to communicate with deaf people if they cannot lip read or if there's nothing to use to write on. I do not want to be one of the people who treat them like people who do not speak English and shout at them (because as we all know, those who are deaf or do not speak English will understand you if you speak slowly and LOUDLY:rolleyes:)

Anyway, any suggestions welcome.

BTW, I'm not in Dublin so suggestions of locations of courses there are probably not worthwhile, but any organisations that I could contact would be appreciated.

Be very careful. Lots of useless courses around. The majority of hearing people in Ireland who think they can 'sign' don't realise that they have been taught a version of signed English - and not genuine ISL.

Contact The Irish Deaf Society to get recommendations.

Good for you! I studied Sign Language a few years ago, and the delight on a deaf colleague's face when I was able to communicate with him properly was a joy to see.

Try this link: [broken link removed] It lists courses in Dublin, which I know don't suit you, but it also gives links to the various associations for the deaf around the country. Oh - it actually does list classes available throughout the country.

Last edited:
Good on you. I learned ISL a number of years ago (was dating a deaf guy). I picked up the alphabet and some words from him, then he got me a great book with lots of words etc... all ISL - Its called Sign On - its in the shop of the link I posted below.

Its not difficult to learn. After just a few weeks I was in a bar with the guy and we were talking via sign language, and we got talking to another 2 guys (via sign). I just assumed both of them were also deaf - they made the same assumption about me. After a while chatting one of them turned to the other and addressed him verbally at which point I realised the only deaf person in the group was the guy I was with - and I pointed it out to them and we all had a laugh about it.

You will find some good info here:
http://www.irishdeaf.com/

IME, for a number of reasons, I would stay well away from deafhear if I were you.

I did a 10 week course in Ballymun a few years ago. I think it's still on there. It's an adult night course done by a lovely deaf lady.

In 10 weeks I learned to hold a simple conversation. It was a lot of fun too.

Can't really say too much but put it this way - if you know a few deaf people (who aren't employed by deafhear) ask them what they think of them as an organisation and then make up your mind.

Back