Shower within Bath unit, advice please

fluffy47

We are in the throws of planning to change the bathroom in the house which we bought a few years back.

The current layout of the room consists of a bath, wash hand basin and toilet. With a squeeze, we could move these about and include a shower unit in the room too but that may leave the space feeling a bit cluttered. We are considering including a power shower within the bath unit to potentially save on space.

I am slightly concerned that the constant use of the same area in the bath by people showering might cause damage to the tiled surrounds as the bath is not a porcelain one and has less support underneath.

Has anyone any advice for or against this idea?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe I'm missing the point here but most baths these days are plastic, not porcelain. One the bath is fitted correctly i.e. on a sound flooring and the area between the bath and wall tiling is sealed properly, there shouldn't be an issue.

We have briefly considered getting rid of the bath altogether but we are aware that if we ever sell that it might be an issue for future owners.

I have no doubt that the tiling will be sealed properly etc...but it was pointed out to me yesterday by someone who had the same job done that with the weight of adults using that part of the bath for showers that they eventually had issues with the plumbing etc...underneath .

I suppose I am just keen to check out any issue which may arise before spending substantial amounts of money on these projects.

TIA

Guess worrying about "if we ever sell that it might be an issue for future owners." shouldn't really come into it at this stage... it's what you & your family would benefit most from... are you going to use the bath? or will it be mostly just showers?
If you have young kids, then bath is ideal for them for wash time, they might not take to the shower. If you are going for a bath with shower, then get a good quality sturdy bath. I've a shower over the bath in the main bathroom & the bath does feel "flimsy" when standing there and it's rarely used - prefer to use the dedicated shower in the ensuite.

Our children are still at the age where they use the bath although we have introduced them to the shower. To be realistic, we need to keep the bath for another few years.

Now, I am left with where to get a good sturdy bath. We are in North Kildare, but happy to travel for the right thing. An anyone advise me on anything in particular that I should look out for when getting that 'sturdy bath' or any particular brand names.

Thanks in advance.

We have a separate shower as well as a bath in the bathroom. Shower every morning, maybe have a bath once a week. Bath is better if I want to read a book while soaking!

Back