Shower pump starting-and-stopping for hot-water

Setanta12

This is a problem since Christmas. Worked fine in 12 mnths before - but installed and unused for 5/6 years before that.

It starts off fine but with the addition of hotwater, the pump seems to cut out fora few seconds then starts a little then cuts out again.

Please don't tell me I need a new pump, if I do, how much should I expect to pay? (Other showers seem to work fine in the house - this particular one is in the converted attic and the water-tank, if relevant, is in the rafters)

is there any other appliances taking of the pump . Because if you have and pump runs fine when hot is open. This problem is most likely to be in shower.

My guess would be you have a moonsoon pump and thermostatic mixer. My guess would be a problem with the mixer valve. it could be the flow switch on the pump . but id say its a restriction in the shower hot flow rate.

please confirm make of pump and shower

we had a new water pump installed and within weeks we encountered the same problem . stopping and starting every time the shower was used but ok when tap was running.
we called in the plumber and were given a new pump under the guarantee.
within weeks it was doing the same thing stopping and starting in the shower.
we called in another plumber.
believe it or not the problem was a twisted tube within the hose attached to the shower head.
solution was to unravel the inside tube .
worked a treat , no stopping and starting for the time being.!

Check also for limescale buildup. Happens our showeres periodically and once we remoce the limesale from the showerhead it works again.

OP didn't come back to answer the first question 4 months ago...so it's likely this is sorted by now.

Back