Shower Doors

FionaT

Hi
Just looking for a bit of help. I've been having problems for the last 2 months getting a shower door for an ensuite in a new apt, in fact most of my neighbours have all had the same problem and the builders have not been very helpful. After a lot of messing around it looks like we will have to get one made up (measurements are 755x775 with a radius 550). Does anyone know a reputable company who does them? We've have Barratts in Maynooth on the case to see if they can get one but I'm open to all suggestions. Im based in Kilcock but willing to travel to Timbuktu to get it sorted...!!
Thanks for any help.

Hi Fiona

We had a similar problem when we moved into our aparment, seemed our builders had put in the smallest possible shower which meant it was hard to get a door. There are a few companies that do them. House of Vogue can provide them but that would have taken a few weeks to order in, we found one in stock in Chadwicks in Finglas. It was about four times the price of a normal door :( but at least it fit! I'm pretty sure it was 750 we needed.

Why don't you just put in a rail with shower curtain? Much easier to clean anyway if you buy a machine washable one.

Why don't you just put in a rail with shower curtain? Much easier to clean anyway if you buy a machine washable one.

I have a shower curtain in my ensuite because I couldn't get a door to fit it and I'd give anything for a door. They are hidious things, doors are much neater and a simple wipe down cleans them. These things collect everything, and don't get me started on how many times the cat has decided to climb the thing.

We had the same problem with our quadrant shower tray. When the plumber fitted it he kept it out on one side. We only discovered it after tiling the walls and measured up for the door.

The size we required was an odd ball and had a lot of trouble in getting a door to suit. In the end I was able to get a plumbers providers to sort it out. He got on to Image Showers in Kilkenny and they modified the frame on one of their models to suit us.

I moved into a new development recently and I remember some of the apartments were fitted with odd shaped shower trays. As far as I can remember they managed to get shower doors in that House of Vogue place or else in a small shop called the "Shower Centre" on the Malahide Road (Fairview end).
Not sure of the dimensions but it may be worth a phone call

Not affiliated with any of these.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi all thanks again for these suggestions, its great to get this info - ruffmut i totally sympathise as this is what has happened with my shower . Good news is that my Dad has gone back to the builders and said you need to sort this or else..! Came back and have so changed their tune and will change the base if needs be but they will sort it. Found out that other neighbours just werent using their ensuites or put in shower curtains, which I also agree are hard to keep clean. Hopefully all will be well and my other neighbours can get sorted too. And I can pass on your very helpful info too. Cheers :D

If you get a washable shower curtain all you have to do is shove it in the washing machine every so often. To be honest, if you live in an area with hard water you will find it very difficult to keep shower doors clean as the water marks and limescale build up. Whatever you do, do not purchase shower doors which overlap, there is no way of cleaning the overlapping glass - mine was already in the house I moved into and it has to be the worst design ever.

Are you guys saying that shower doors are not supplied & fitted when buying a new property?

I can't get over the cost of a shower door.

I can't get over the fact that they will put a shower in with a tray and no door, but they are in showhouses like that too. To me that's not 'finished'

One of my friends had the same problem, non-standard sized shower tray in en-suite. She got the name of whoever supplied the tray from the builder, and then got the door from them.

I don't post often but this is a subject close to my heart:). We recently renovated our ensuite and as the existing shower door was broken, we had to replace - an easy job we thought in our innocence.

Basically our shower tray, while taking account of tiling, was only 730/735. Ours was a corner-entry shower and I eventually found a model called the Flair Capella, which is telescopic (meaning that you can adapt it to a range of sizes). The downside is that it's quite expensive. After ringing around a variety of Flair dealers, we got a range of prices from 350 - 599, for the exact same model. It's crazy. So ring around!

To cut a long story short, I rang Flair and decided to go with a different model, which required the guy installing it to cut a couple of mm off the door. I don't know if this is a recommended route, and I imagine there are lots of ways it could go wrong, but ours worked out ok. The model we got in the end was the Flair Astral (€190).

Good luck to you all and I hope you get sorted.

Good morning,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with an online shower door supplier called showerdoorsdirect.ie? They only supply the doors and do not provide a fitting service but seem very competitive price wise.

Also, do you think it is necessary to get a fitter or is it a job that someone who's a bit handy could do?

All comments appreciated.

Back