Should Sellers Pay For Purchasers Snag List Requirements?

Peter54

I put a property on the market recently and dropped the price significantly to hurry on a sale.

Low and behold two weeks later I had an offer from a buyer with full mortgage approval who was ready to sign contrasts asap.

Signed contracts arrived in my solicitors office yesterday with a condition that the contract will only be valid if I pay the snag list recommendations that were carried out on the property. This bill comes to under approx. 4k.

Having worked in the construction industry for years this is the first time I've ever come across such a condition except for a new build.

Should I pay for these snags or should I take the attitude that "you seen the house in its totality. You got it at fair price, now its up to you to pay for the works that the snag list suggests should be done".

Anyone else come across this before?

I've not seen a snag list like that before for a 2nd hand property, however I know when we bought a house about 5 years ago, our solicitor inserted clauses requiring the vendor to remove an unauthorised structure on the site (at his own expense)

I think the buyer is pulling a dirty trick, and I would be very annoyed.

But after calming down, I would ask myself if I am prepared to drop my price by a further €4k in order to get the sale. I might say no; if my new asking price brought one purchaser to the table, it is probably pitched at the right level, and there are other purchasers out there.

+1 with Padraigb above. Maybe consider offering a 2k discount if the sneaky snag-list clause is removed, just to close out the deal with a live prospect.

As a potential buyer in a buyers market I would ask and expect to receive certain conditions on the contract - they are obviously looking for 4K off the price and its up to you to now either do that or risk the sale falling through

The price of the house has been dropped by thousands. So much so that even the estate agent asked me was I sure I wanted to let it go for the price I'm selling it at. I do need a quick sale and don't really have time to be waiting around on future buyers who may not be interested and house prices dropping further.

I spoke to the estate agent yesterday who said the buyer will remove the condition in the contract if I pay cash for part of the snags.

I'm caught between a rock and a hard place but at this stage it looks like I'll have to grit my teeth and bare it if I want an instant sale.

I dont think the buyer has done anything wrong here at all. You cant blame someone trying to get the best value that they can. Its not a dirty trick, its in plain black and white on the contract. Theres nothing sly about it. At the end of the day its still very much a buyers market. If I was you, unless you're practically giving the house away, I'd think carefully before messing the buyers around.

"I'd think carefully before messing the buyers around."

Seems like the messing that's going on is from the buyer's side.

Back