Should I upgrade to Internet Explorer 7?

sherib

I seem to recall some reticence being expressed by posters on AAM (in the past) about the Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 upgrade. I'm being reminded again and wonder is there any reason not to upgrade now? Advice appreciated.

You should upgrade to Firefox 3 instead - infinitely faster, better, more reliable and more secure than Internet Explorer 7 - if you do it, you will not regret it for one second.

Only reason to upgrade to IE7 would be if you access sites that only work with IE7 and you wanted to benefit from Microsoft's latest fix-ups for Windows and IE7. Not sure if they still patch IE6.

Microsoft is not where the game is anymore. It's been a long time since MS came out with any kind of popular innovation. As posted by others FireFox 3 is the way to go. I'd couple that with 'NoScript' which help keep unnecessary scripts (such as 'Google Analytics' and Adobe 'Flash' ) and other nuisances off your machine.

Opera and Safari are also worth a look.

Just a disclaimer Safari - it doesn't always behave itself (I'd a recent error where when sending texts online, there were fairly randomly going to the wrong person :eek:)

I use Safari 90% of the time, but Firefox is there for the odd site that won't load or misbehaves. Safari is the fastest and some really nice short cuts - at least on the mac. I can't comment on the windows version.

As along time Firefox 2.0 user, I dislike how they've done the bookmarks in 3.0 so much so I'm using IE7 with an addin called IE7Pro which has a lot of my favorite bits from Firefox. I need IE7 for work anyway.

I seem to recall some reticence being expressed by posters on AAM (in the past) about the Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 upgrade. I'm being reminded again and wonder is there any reason not to upgrade now? Advice appreciated.
You can always upgrade to explorer 7 and if you don't like it you can delete it to go back to the version you are using now.

You can't sort them without going into the bookmark manager. Also when you synch them other bookmark files (from other machines) its creates duplicates of the same bookmark. I just got sick of cleaning them up.

What about right clicking on the Bookmarks menu or sub-menus and choosing Sort by Name?

Doesn't work.

I've a lot of bookmarks, so its a problem for me. Other people probably woon't even notice it. Also I swap between a lot of computers so being able to keep them in synch is chore I like not to do. IE7Pro synchs them online. I tried this with FF addons and I never liked the ones that did that.

Back