Should I register?

dmos87

I make 3d Novelty cakes from home occasionally for family or friends, or friends of friends, etc. based in Cork. I worked in a bakery from my early teens and have a good amount of skill built up. Some months I have no cakes to do, and other months I might have a small few. It’s impossible to know in advance if the month will be good or not.
Word of mouth seems to be spreading lately and I have had a steady stream of orders, along with a few for next month. Not exactly a goldmine, but its a very good sign for me. I want to eventually do this and only this full time. At the moment I work a 5day full time week in Administration.
My question is; should I register my cake making as a business? If so, how do I go about this? How will it affect me tax-wise? I am literally clueless about this.
I have spoken with a few people who are self employed in different sectors who are shutting shop recently and am petrified of going down the same line. I could literally go weeks without one order, and sometimes its 2 a week.
Ideally, in a few years time if all is going well, I would love to do this full time. At the moment there isn’t a hope of that, but the signs are good that people are taking notice.
If anyone can offer some advice on this I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Sorry to be annoying however I'd love some feedback soon - I'm coming close to a few days off and could go about it if I need to then! thanks :)

You should do up a business plan before you do anything mate. Check out the "new business road test" its a great book for people thinking of starting a business and gives you test to run your ideas through so at the end of it you can decide for yourself whether its worth pursuing or not.

Back