Should I make a personal injuries claim

B

bubble

I was involved in a car accident a few weeks ago and was quite sore afterwards. Alot of pain in my ribs and back which has died down but my right arm, shoulder and side is very weak and I can't hold my arm up or hold onto things for too long without it hurting. I'm going to head back to the doctor for physio which should hopefully solve it. I was hit from behind and pushed into oncoming traffic and hit another car and feel extremely lucky to have walked out of the accident. It was only the next day that I really started to get sore. Also finding it very difficult to sleep but trying to manage that. The other guy has admitted liability and has been very helpful and although he was careless he didn't go out with the intention that day to hurt me. His insurance company sorted me out with a car and has given me a fair value too for my own car which was written off.

I'm just very reluctant to make a claim for whiplash. I mean it could go away with physio. I see far too many people making claims for nothing and it really annoys me. Plus I don't want to put this guy through anymore hardship he's mortified enough that he hit me in the first place.

I'm getting loads of unwanted advice from people (family mostly) who know me and I would prefer to get comments from people who don't know me, an outsiders view I suppose.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Firstly your honesty is admirable

Have you been at a financial loss at any stage due to your injuries?, eg, time off work for doctors appointements, cost of GP appointments/physio appointments/pain killers? At the very least you should have no concerns for claiming for those costs

I agree with Mpsox your honesty is indeed admirable. You should also think of the long term repercussions. While the injury may seem slight now and physio may ease the pain it may be a long term or re-occuring injury. I believe there is a staute of limitations regarding when a claim can be brought fior injuries arrising from an accident of about 3 years (The legal eagles on here will know this) do you have to make a decision now? Could you wait a while to see if there are any longterm effects?

A whiplash injury is very painful, can be very distressing,and may be symptomatic for quite some time. Therefore it is important that prompt treatment and care is taken in the early stages. I had one many years ago and still get exacerbations of same. (30years on!) Have your physio and any medical exams that are required and wait and see if it resolves without excessive discomfort and pain, you dont have to make any decision at the present moment only concentrate on getting better. Indecision and stress can make whiplash discomfort worse.

OP if you are genuinely hurt and are genuinely out of pocket - claim, you are entitled to. Doesn't matter if you might feel it is insignificant or petty.

If you are not genuinely hurt and are not genuinely out of pocket, don't.

Hi thanks for your comments. I have been at a loss work wise for two weeks but his Insurance Company has already covered this and as for doctors bills and drugs etc. I have health insurance and can claim a bit back so I'm not at a huge loss. The only thing I'm worried about is my shoulder and arm and I suppose it would be no harm to wait to see if physio works. I think it's two years to make a Personal Injuries Claim so there's plenty of time. To be honest I'd be happy if I didn't have to go through anymore hassle with this crash so fingers crossed the physio works. Thanks again.

It's probably in your interests to notify the insurance company that you are having treatment, and may be putting in a claim. It puts them on notice, and may make it easier if you do have to claim.

I'm searching for answers in this area as well....

The best I've found so far is this list of detailed articles

http://www.injury-compensation.ie/injury-claims/

The one that you need to read is

http://www.injury-compensation.ie/whiplash-injury-claims/

hope this helps

Sorry - should have mentioned this one as well

http://www.injury-compensation.ie/road-traffic-accident-claims/

From your brief description, it looks like you might have missed some of the key steps in making a claim.

This is why we all pay insurance. Use it, it is for this exact thing. Get a solicitor, agree a fee and they will do everything that needs to be done.

worth a read.
http://www.amazon.com/Whiplash-Useful-Illnesses-Andrew-Malleson/dp/0773529942

Back