Should I get a receipt from the auctioneer when paying a deposit?

TheManWho

When placing a deposit on a property with the estate agent would there be paperwork provided by estate agent outlining the terms & conditions related to the deposit e.g. the period of time the deposit is refundable?

I've never bought a house before. I'm hoping it's not a case of being expected to hand over the cash without any written agreement on the t&c's.

Hi ms

No need to worry at all. The law is very clear. The deposit is fully refundable at any time up until you exchange contracts for the house.

They probably will give you a receipt, but if they don't, you don't need to worry.

Brendan

ALWAYS insist on a receipt! I cannot believe that anyone would recommend not to worry about getting one.
It is a significant chunk of money - even if it is a draft or cheque or CC there is no reason to not get a receipt from the Estate Agent.
Things can go wrong and you want to have it confirmed that you handed your money over.

I presume you don't actually mean cash in terms of euro notes?

If you give a cheque , you don't need a receipt.

I wouldn't pay euro notes for anything large.

Brendan

but you need to ask how long it will take them to refund you?? and never trust an auctioneer. And a tip for the rest of your life, always get a receipt, its your only proof.

Surely, you will give the deposit to your solicitor who in turn will pay the auctioneer. And yes, get a receipt from your solicitor too.

Yes. I'll be paying the deposit by cheque. No harm in asking for a receipt I guess. This was my plan anyhow. Just wanted to check as I've never bought a house.

Why would I get a solicitor to pay the deposit? Any benefit?

Back