I was asked this today.

Mortgage €170k
House value: probably €120k

New variable rate: 4.95%

Options available:
Fixed for two years: 5.4% ( + 0.45%)
Fixed for three years: 5.7% (+ 0.75%)

Summary of my advice:
Fix €120k until 2014. Leave €50k on variable (if Ulster Bank allow it)

Arguments against fixing

• The banks have a better idea of future rates than you do
  • They build in a margin for fixing, so they are not usually good value
  • If you want to move, you will have to pay a penalty for repaying your mortgage early.
  • If you have savings you won't be able to use them to reduce your mortgage
  • If the market returns to normal competition, you won't be able to switch to a better deal.
Arguments in favour of fixing in this case

• You get a guaranteed rate for three years which is not a lot higher than the standard variable rate.
  • As ECB rates are 1.25%, they are far more likely to rise than fall
  • You are unlikely to be moving in the next three years
  • Because you are in negative equity, you won't be able to switch to another lender if there is a better deal.
Leave part of it on variable if it's allowed
so that you can use your savings or any lump-sum you might get to reduce your mortgage.

Also, will Ulster Bank facilitate splitting the mortgage in two?

Your first point against fixing ( The banks have a better idea of future rates and build in a margin for fixing, so they are not usually good value )
I think is the most important.

In my experience and that of poeple I know, I have yet to see anyone save money by fixing for any period.

Obviously some do, and there is also the security of having a standard payment each month to take into account.

The personal circumstances of the mortgage holder should be the most important factor in deciding.

Also, will Ulster Bank facilitate splitting the mortgage in two?

I have yet to see anyone save money by fixing for any period.

Obviously some do, and there is also the security of having a standard payment each month to take into account.

certainty comes at a small price in this instance, and yes - you can save money on fixing - I did on 3 year from 2006 to 2009, however lost out on a fix from 2001-2004. Swings and round-abouts, however, I did not have to worry when rates were rising for the first year in 2001, nor throughout the 2006 to late 2008 when rates got far above my fixed one.

Back