Should heating system be connected to the mains?

cullenswood

Hi,

I had a plumber around this morning due to our upstairs radiators not heating up in the evening times. He said that a motor type thing was gone in the hotpress and he over rode this so that the heat would come through.

He also said there was very little pressure in the system pointing of that the dial on the gas boiler is pretty much down at zero. He said this was due to the heating system being connected to the tank upstairs and not the main water system. He reckoned it would be much better if it was connected to the mains. Is this correct and would €350 be a reasonable price to do it??

Also, he mentioned that it is much handier to have thermostats on each of the rads, as opposed to just one main one for upstairs, and offered to do this aswell if I wanted.

He put no pressure on me to get either done, but connecting to the mains seems like a good idea to me, and I was thinking of getting it done.

I was just wondering was he waffling to me, or is it a good idea. Also does the price sound right.

Any advice would be much appreciated

If you were to convert to a pressurized system you would benefit by being able to refill the system quickly,clear air locks easier and get up to the 1bar of pressure the boiler manufactures look for, the down side is it may show up leaks on your system as the pressure could drop and you would have to keep refilling, that is if there is a leak, in respect of the price, get other quotes, it sounds a bit much to me, but i don't know what your installation is like.

I think thermostatic rad valves are great, they will help balance your system, they give you more control and they save you money, a couple of tips, don't have a trv in the same area as a room stat, leave a least one rad with out a trv to help the boiler with circulation.

If you are going to the trouble to fit trv's, have a look at your system water if it's black, brown or has solids in it have it flushed and have a inhibitor poured in to it to keep things nice and clean inside rads and pipe work, Gary.

Nice one, thanks for the advice Gary. I was thinking of going ahead with getting the thermostats on the radiators upstairs alright aswell. Plumber said he'd do both ( ie connect to mains and stick on four thermostats) for around 600. He said he would have to flush out the system to put on the thermostats.

Not sure what you mean by trv, is this the thermostat on the wall? We have that in our room, but I thought that was for all of upstairs and the impression I got was that this was overridden once he took off that pump thingy in the hot press

Thanks for the feedback guys. I rang around and got a quote for 250 to connect to the mains and fit thermostats to four radiators! It definitely pays to phone around!

250 euro to convert to a pressurised system and fit 4xtrv's is a bit low. I would be wary of this.

Back