Should (100% topup) paid Maternity Leave in the Public Service be abolished.

I am a public sector worker who have availed of this paid maternity leave. Without it we would not have been able to afford to have a child. If the government cuts it we probably won't have any more children. With the aging population we should be encouraging people to have more children to pay for us when we are old and for anglo too!

With regards to comments that 5 days or 6 weeks are fine, EU law dictates that women must get at least 14 weeks maternity leave. The 6 month thing came in to bring us more in line with the uk where mothers get 39 weeks paid leave and some of that (i think first 6 weeks) is 90% of normal pay.

6 months leave also gives mothers a chance to breastfeed their baby for the recommended 6 months.

Changing this aspect of public sector pay is a step in the wrong direction. I would happily give up some of the silly allowances (e.g. I get paid €11 extra for working on a saturday and will soon be working every saturday) before something like this should go. While we are at it why don't we make women quit as soon as they get married so that there will be no maternity leave problem at all.

Back