Short-term IT contracting

HaoDe

Hello there,

I'm originally from Ireland, currently living and working in China.

I'll be back home in the summer, and would like to investigate some short-term IT contracting work during that time. However, I would only be available to work for about four weeks of the summer.

I only ever worked as a permanent employee in Dublin before, and have never worked on a contract basis, so I am only aware of a couple of 'traditional' avenues into contracting:
  1. Set up a limited company and get an accountant or
  2. Use a Contracting Services company

These options seem a little heavy-handed for me, given that I'll only need to use either option for four weeks and then wrap them up.

Is there an easier way to get into short-term IT contracting? Any thoughts/suggestions/advice much appreciated.

Thanks,
Paddy

Do a search for something like "IT Contracting in Ireland"

Here is just one result

To register as a sole trader complete form TR1 on the Revenue website. Its quite straight forward.

No agency will deal with you as a sole trader - you will have to either go Ltd or use an umbrella like cxc in your case umbrella is best option.

What's your skillset ? I always find summer a very quiet time contracting due to decision makers being on holiday.

I'd agree. Realistically, unless you are already known by a client, and can line something up beforehand remotely, I would think it next to impossible to get anything for such a short period in the quietest time of the year.

Thanks nai, I have not contacted the contracting services companies yet, but this information is useful as a place to start. Umbrella looks to be comparable to a 'pay as you go' option for contracting services, so for my short-term needs, it looks the better option.

Agreed that the summer is a quiet time, so this plan could fail :)

My skillset is Java development with Scrum Master experience.

I'd agree. Realistically, unless you are already known by a client, and can line something up beforehand remotely, I would think it next to impossible to get anything for such a short period in the quietest time of the year.

Thanks ang, yes, I would hope to try and line something up sooner rather than later (ie before the summer lull) through the network of people I know.

Back