Sharm El Sheikh recommendations

johnno09

Myself and the OH are heading to Sharm El Sheikh in April for a week staying in Sharks Bay.

So far we've sussed out a daytrip to the Pyramids (by plane), a trip to coloured canyon, ras mohammid.

Can anyone recommend a few other not so far flung places to see and things to do?

Also where is the best place to get the visa to travel outside of Sharm and also wondering how far does the currency go over there, we're staying all inclusive, but finding it hard to gauge how much to bring.

Don't know about the visa as we stayed in Sharm. I would advise that you check on the exchange rate locally, as we recently got money fromThomson (we live in England) who sold me Egyptian pounds at 1.08 to sterling. We found that the hotel spa happily gave us 1.10 as did a local bank. The E£ I took back to Thompson they bought back at E£1.12 to sterling. It must be said that they did offer me a deal whereby they would buy back at the same rate they sold to me for an up-front fee of £3.95. With hindsight I should have accepted that deal, but as our hotel was AI I didnt bother.
We had a great hotel; The Iberhotel Palace.

On a different note you will need to tough it out with the local traders-they are very pushy.
if some one want to 'help' you put your bags on the transfer fer bus they will put their hand out for money.
That said it is a fantastic place.

We had no problem with a transfer bus as we were the only people from our flight going to our hotel, so they laid on a limo for us.

We visited the Old Market in Sharm a few times and had reat crack with the traders, who took a refusal in very good part.

First, don't be put off by the bad events in Cairo. Sharm is far, it's like another country, you don't notice anything - I know because I'm here right now. The best in my opinion is to get the visa at arrival at the airport. Regarding money, you will only need it for excursions which can be quite expensive, depending on the operator and the programme. Otherwise everything is cheap. What else do you need? Entertainment, night out, that kind of things? The Coloured Canyon is great, but there are other nice places as well. Near Sharm the Nabq protectorate is a laid-back stretch of coast, without development.

Hi
I am planning on heading there 7th March any recommendations for good 4/5 star AI hotels ?

Thanks

Try the Iberohotel Palace. 5 Star AI. If you check out Trip Advisor you will find a lot of reports. As noted in my post above, we booked via Thompson and I don't know if they operate in Ireland. Highly recommend the hotel.

Back