Shared Ownership

Hi wrote a letter to Dublin City Council through my local TD, got reply that DCC are reviewing current limits for Shared Ownership. Noel Ahern gave an understanding that limits for Shared Ownership would be reviewed each year. Last review was over a year ago. To the best of my knowledge most applicants who avail of Shared Ownership scheme eventually buy out Council Share within a few years. So I can't exactly see how they lose money from the Scheme. The Rent on their Shared Ownership share is still way more than somebody paying rent on a council flat. Also the council do not have to help with the general maintenance charges, wear and tear or heating the property. So surely its a sure winner for them.

Have also got a reply from NOEL AHERN yeah signed by him saying they have received my letter and a reply will issue soon.
It's Election Year if they want my vote I hope that they can do something for me, otherwise I like the sound of the Begin to Buy Scheme that Labour are proposing.
Get out there and complain to local authorites, councillors, and your local TD. If they get enough complaints they might just listen to us.

I got my place over 2 years ago through the shared ownership system. It was the best thing I ever did, I got a place I would never have been able to any other way. As regards to the rent you pay on the councils' share, you pay rent at 4.3% but if the current rate is less than this the difference over the year comes off their share. I would really recommend this as a way to get your first place if you can get a deposit together. And also you buy out the council as soon your circumstances change not after 3 years as it used to be.

Hi there,
About 4 years ago we bought our first place using Shared Ownership with Dublin City Council.
We were restricted in where we could look and ended up buying in Finglas west.
We moved from there in to our dream home.
Two things about shared ownership - it is a great scheme if available to you, you can easily buy out the counil a year or so later.
The down side is - the likely hood is that the areas you can affoard to buy in are not great.

We would never have been able to move to where we are now if it weren't for the lil ol' housy in Finglas.... We had great neighbours, however there were aspects of the area the really were not good....
I would have no problem recomending it as a stepping stone to anyone:)

Hi can someone help me. Me and my boyfriend and going to buy a house in Aug and we have been told that Shared Ownership is the way to go. Can any1 help me that has actually done this. Is it a good move.?
I bought a beautiful apartment in Dublin 3 years ago through the scheme and would highly recommend it. I was single and could not get a bank to give me a mortgage at the time. DCC were so helpful and I found it very stress free as they look after the legal issues etc. 2 years later I switched my mortgage to a bank, and that was straightforward. I have recently married and am moving out of Dublin and will sell my apartment and will make a sizeable profit - hopefully 80-100K. I could not have owned my own home without this scheme, and now have the added bonus of making a profit also

Back