Share dealing account

cal2022

Hi, I’m looking for some direction on selling shares. My mum holds some shares which don’t seem to be held with a stock broker. As far as she’s aware she doesn’t have an account anywhwere. My Dad bought the shares years ago, but not sure how and he has since passed away.

My Mum is now looking to sell these. They aren’t hugely valuable, maybe around 4k. I know we can open new accounts with stockbrokers and looking for advice on where might be best or if there’s an easier way to sell them. She banks with AIB if that’s any use. I’m sure some brokers charge higher fees than others and it will literally only be used just to sell these shares and never again. Any advice would be great!

My mum holds some shares which don’t seem to be held with a stock broker.

Does she have share certificates?

Does she get dividends?

The dividend certificate will tell you how many shares you have.

If you have lost the share certificates they are a pain to replace, but that would be the first step.

Which company/ies are the shares in?

Brendan

Does she have share certificates?

Does she get dividends?

The dividend certificate will tell you how many shares you have.

If you have lost the share certificates they are a pain to replace, but that would be the first step.

Which company/ies are the shares in?

Brendan

Yes she does get dividends. No , no share cert that we are aware of. I do have a login to the company website which lists her shareholding. Shares are with Kerry Group. I did see some kind of transaction list online also showing they were bought back in 2001. I’ve no idea if they could have been bought direct or would have been with a stockbrokers back then.

I did ask the shareholder administration team when they were giving me the login and they just said they could be sold through any stockbroker but no other information.

Sorry I’ve just checked and it was the registrar I was in contact with. This was exactly what they replied hence I was trying to navigate where was the best place to set up an account just for this one transaction.

“Your Kerry Group plc shares can be sold through a Stockbroker. Any broker of your choosing can be used to sell the shares – you are not restricted to a particular broker.”

I'm in the same boat as CAL2022........Most companies like Kerry or Glanbia advise you to contact a broker to sell some or all of your shares in that particular company..... BUT where does one actually see a list of Irish Stockbrokers that you can contact to sell a once-off or at least annual share disposal transaction (to avail of CGT Relief etc ).... For example.... I have tried Davy but they seem to charge 4 x quarterly €50 = €200 per annum Account Maintenance Fee and a set up fee for your Share Certificate of €98.40 after you set up a Client Investment account with them which is really unsuitable for what the small share dealer wants.

What CAL2022 (and me!) really wants to know is there a simple share dealing stockbroker that somebody can recommend who will just charge a fee for a once-off transacation to dispose of shares ?

Anybody recommend a stockbroker who will sell Joint account shares (my wife and I) on a once-off/one transaction per year basis that will only charge Commission on a once-off basis (say 1.5%) rather than having to set up an official account that has to be maintained at about €250/€300 rate per annum .......

Any of the Dublin or Cork offices I have checked with want €250/300 per annum every year for shares worth in total about €12k ...... to take advantage of CGT annual exemptions I would oly be selling about €3k worth each year so €300 is a high fee for my type of business!

I have tried online brokers as well but for example Degiro will not entertain shares held in Joint names

Hi - Did anyone ever get this sorted re finding out who would Co.sign an Indemnity form to get a replacement Glanbia share certificate. Computershare issued the indemnity but because of Brexit they can’t help us and say we have to get the indemnity signed but an insurance company who is a member of the Assoc of British Insurers. Ava, Aviva; Allianz, AIG, AxaUk plc, and Prudential are but a few. I rang Aviva, waiting on a callback. Will post response but wondering if anyone eventually got sorted. Thanks in advance.

Back