Shanahan's on the Green - Child-friendly

Complainer

Any idea if Shanahan's would be child-friendly for an early-evening family dinner. Just one little one in a party of seven, as it happens.

I don't want the stress of tut-tutting waiters or other diners.

This is not a place for children, do yourself a favour, organise a sitter, leave your child at home and go and enjoy the evening without stressing yourself and your child.

I agree. You are paying BIG BUCKS for a meal here. You want to enjoy it, hassle free, without having to keep a four year old amused. Not a place for kids imo

you would also feel uncomfortable because although it is a reasonably relaxed restaurant there will be no other kids there and if your one has a whinge there are going to be lots of tut tuts from other diners spending €150 a pop each.

Why do people feel that it's ok to bring a 4 year old to a restaurant in the evening? That's my worst nightmare, to go to an upmarket restaurant for a relaxing meal only to find that there's a young child at the next table who's way past their bedtime and creating havoc.

Children under 10 should be banned from restaurants and pubs in the evening, particularly pubs - what kind of message are the parents sending that it's ok to sit in a pub all day drinking while your kids run around and cause havoc?

I never understand these type of questions - why don't you just RING the place!?!?
You could post their answer and ask if anyone had experiences, but ring them first!

Why do people feel that it's ok to bring a 4 year old to a restaurant in the evening? That's my worst nightmare, to go to an upmarket restaurant for a relaxing meal only to find that there's a young child at the next table who's way past their bedtime and creating havoc.

Children under 10 should be banned from restaurants and pubs in the evening, particularly pubs - what kind of message are the parents sending that it's ok to sit in a pub all day drinking while your kids run around and cause havoc?

Sorry for long post - I thought the above post a little harsh. I certainly agree that it's not ideal to have kids running around late at night, they need their sleep. But, as an example, I had to spend some time in South America when my children were little - in order to stay as a family they came too and we all stayed in a hotel - and therefore we had to eat in restaurants. Most of the time they were able to eat earlier and go to bed at normal kids' bedtime, but sometimes that didn't suit so they had a sleep in the afternoon and came to a restaurant at night. We were lucky in that they were pretty well behaved and were happy with each other's company. Also we brought pens and paper, books, and so on to keep them distracted.

I do appreciate not everyone will take account of their fellow diners in this way, and therefore situations may occur where several people's evenings are ruined because of the presence of a small child. I think though, this is the exeption rather than the rule.

The second paragraph of your post reminded me of two places I stayed in with my children when they were small. One was in London where it was virtually impossible to get a meal where alcohol was served if your children were under 12, and trying to find a place other than McDs was difficult if you like decent food! The other was Spain, where kids are welcomed, enjoyed and entertained at any hour of the evening (sometimes to the discomfort of the other guests!) When not travelling though, the meals I have relaxed at most have been when I knew my children were safely cared for at home and they didn't need to be entertained quietly so as not to upset other diners.

To the OP, I would either engage a babysitter or go to a less upmarket restaurant, and there are plenty in Dublin that serve great food.

Personally I would have preferred a 4 year old than the 50+ year old bore that dominated the entire restaurant the night we were there before Christmas. His voice was loud, his tales lurid and even though he was 2 tables away he took the shine off what was a special night for us.

Money can't buy class or manners!

Personally I would have preferred a 4 year old than the 50+ year old bore that dominated the entire restaurant the night we were there before Christmas. His voice was loud, his tales lurid and even though he was 2 tables away he took the shine off what was a special night for us.

Money can't buy class or manners!

How is this relevant to the original posters question?

The OP didn't ask for a review of your special night and a preference of company on the nearby tables.

How is this relevant to the original posters question?

The OP didn't ask for a review of your special night and a preference of company on the nearby tables.

Posted at 03:33 AM. I'm guessing it's more a case of Gin and Tonic (my personal preference) than Bluetonic, would that be right? Or are you just insufferably cranky by nature?

Thanks for all the comments (even the nasty ones). Let's just clarify a few points.

1) It's a 6pm dinner - hardly past anyone's bedtime
2) There is no 'running around' havoc involved. It just doesn't happen. We've eaten out in restaurants since the kids were in their car-seats. This little one is a veteran of Roly's (both Ballsbridge & Dun Laoghaire) and a few other somewhat posh places from our travels around. There might be more frequent trips to the loo than the average punter. There might be a bit of chat with the waiting staff. There might be a raised voice or two.
3) In the very unlikely event of a total meltdown (it happened once before, in an Eddie Rockets as it happens), I just pick her up and carry her out. If absolutely necessary, we'll just go home early.
4) The reason for bringing her along is not because of a lack of a sitter. We are a family. We are celebrating a family occasion. She is part of our family. I will enjoy her company. Others will enjoy her company (and will distract and entertain her for short periods, so I get to relax too). I see that a big part of my job as parent is to create unforgettable happy memories for my kids, and to let them know that family is important, very important.
5) The family member who did the booking has checked with Shanahans (I didn't make the booking, so it thought it best to let the booker do the checking), and they have confirmed that they welcome children.

So if Shanahan's are reading this, get that 24oz ready, I'm on the way.

"Why do people feel that it's ok to bring a 4 year old to a restaurant in the evening?" - I would ask why do people think it is *not* OK to bring a 4 year old ? Yes, they can make noise but, you know, so can adults. Should we be suggesting that 25-35 year old marketing people shouldn't be allowed either, or maybe 50-60 year old oul wans who give out about everything at the top of their voices, or maybe groups of friends who haven't already decided exactly how they will split the bill ? All these people at some times annoy me in restaurants, but I don't suggest banning them as a solution.

I'm with complainer on this one, particularly on point 4 below.

z

Thanks for all the comments (even the nasty ones). Let's just clarify a few points.

2) There is no 'running around' havoc involved. It just doesn't happen. We've eaten out in restaurants since the kids were in their car-seats. This little one is a veteran of Roly's (both Ballsbridge & Dun Laoghaire) and a few other somewhat posh places from our travels around. There might be more frequent trips to the loo than the average punter. There might be a bit of chat with the waiting staff. There might be a raised voice or two.
3) In the very unlikely event of a total meltdown (it happened once before, in an Eddie Rockets as it happens), I just pick her up and carry her out. If absolutely necessary, we'll just go home early.
4) The reason for bringing her along is not because of a lack of a sitter. We are a family. We are celebrating a family occasion. She is part of our family. I will enjoy her company. Others will enjoy her company (and will distract and entertain her for short periods, so I get to relax too). I see that a big part of my job as parent is to create unforgettable happy memories for my kids, and to let them know that family is important, very important.
5) The family member who did the booking has checked with Shanahans (I didn't make the booking, so it thought it best to let the booker do the checking), and they have confirmed that they welcome children.

Good for you (and for Shanahans). A good humoured child is much more agreeable company in a resturant than many an adult.

Good luck Complainer - I hope the evening goes well and we won't have to read about the evening in your blog!

Excellent post, I agree with all of that. I also think that it is important that children are part of family events and if they behave well add to everyone’s enjoyment, even those at other tables.

And now the “but” – I’m not a big fan of Shanahan’s, I think it is a (very) overprices steak house. One Pico or Paulo’s in Donnybrook are, in my opinion, nicer and better value. That said, horses for courses and all that; I hope things go well.

Thanks all for the kind words. I haven't been to Shanahan's before, so I'm keen to have the opportunity to try it out.

Everyone has to go to Shanahan's at least once to try it. An experience. And definately order the onions rings :)

Back