Shabby Galway

A

annamac1

I spent a good 4 hours yesterday walking around Galway and was struck as to how shabby the city has become. Everything appeared to be drab, the restaurants and cafes were overcrowded and expensive, the shops mediocre and no atmosphere at all around. I was quite glad to go home and don't think I'll return for some time. Galway Corporation and Council I think its time you got your act together and pay attention to small details like dirt and litter on the streets etc etc. Has anyone elso noticed?

Some Galway City Councillors have, since been elected, sorting out their egos and pecking orders. There has also been an ongoing issue (taking up numerous council meetings) in relation to the Mayoral car. The Deputy and Mayor don't even seem to communicate, except through the local media.

Please have patience while these issues are sorted out.

The time for patience has now run out I think. Other better and brighter towns now beckon for our euros.... Councillors please copy.

Choices

<Has anyone elso noticed?>

No. It was raining that day which explains drab

Every town does expensive , Dublin is chronic compared to Galway .

The Mayors Driver has resigned , the clampers got him .

Where is brighter on a wet day, surely not Athlone or Limerick. Sligo could pass muster but has no shops and neither do Castlebar or Letterkenny or Ennis .

Choices Choices :(

Re: Choices

In fairness, would you not agree that the Eyre Square project has turned half the town into a building site, along with it's "Jeanie Johnston" escalating costs.

At some times there are only 6 workers visible.

It aint the Jeannie which went 100's of % over budget but it is a mess all right and about 50% over budget.

I blame the corpo officials , the samew shower who were to evict a woman before christmas and the same shower who hired a clamping company that clamp cars with sick kinds in them on their way to hospital.

Fortunately the corpo officials don't interfere with my enjoyment of the town

As far back as I can remember the town was a bit inclined to be dumpish. On a good summer day it could be nice enough. So I am thinking not much has changed.

Havnt been there for a few years .... it is sort of on a mental no go area list. Temple Bar & Henry Street or on the same list.

Dont ask me why I see it like that !

Not matter how bad you think you are, come to Cork and it will make you feel beter...

Galway

I'm surprised at this because I've taken against Galway for different reasons. I hate the way it has become more corporate, although I appreciate that this is happening everywhere. All the chainstores in and around shop street depress me. I miss the shabby shopfronts and homey atmosphere. Even the buskers seem more tourist orientated.

The area around the shopping centre, omniplex and the retail park at the Headford Road Roundabout is a total disaster (if you're lucky enough to negotiate the traffic and get that far). Whoever put Lidl and Argos in the one building with such a tiny carpark should be shot. The carpark across the road is on a daily rate with no change machine, so you can't just pop into it on spec. And then the retail park has all these nasty notices you "must not ignore" or they will clamp you and bring you away and torture you or some such, should you be brave enough to tip across the road for five minutes without a special dispensation from the Pope. Could the various parties not all bang their heads together and come to an agreement on the parking in this area.

I miss laidback Galway. We hardly ever go there now because the charm factor no longer makes up for the hassle factor :(

Rebecca

Re: Galway

In theory, I love Galway.

In practice, however, everytime I go there something BAD happens...Now I realise I sound like Phoebe from Friends, but I have a real phobia about the city. The first time I went, our car was broken into and the steering wheel torn off, windows smashed etc.
The second time I went, some thugs went up and down the street smashing the wingmirrors off every car, including mine.
The third time I went, I was mugged.
Each of the above trips was for pleasure. I have been twice for business, and nothing happened ( well nothing except the best lunch I've ever had in my life in The Arch way( ?), but now am paronoid about the place and wild horses wouldnt drag me there for a weekend away!

Wing Mirrors

Vanilla, snap! we had our wing mirror kicked off our car too when it was parked on a side street in Galway City probably a little over 3 years ago now. The only time (touch wood) that our car has been vandalised and I wouldn't have expected it to be in Galway.

Castlebar (quite good for shopping but pick a good day) and Westport are my best bets rather than Galway now!

But just think if I can get a cheap flight to Edinburgh from Galway I can be in a historic, clean and exciting city with good shopping in no time at all.

I remember Galway in the old days too - it was inclined to be shabby even then but at least you had some local colour back then.......ah well.

happy

New academic research shows that Dubliners are less happy with life than those living outside the capital city.

The study, carried out by the Department of Planning and Environmental Policy at UCD, found that the happiest people appear to live in counties Galway, Kerry and Wicklow.

It also found that the middle-aged are the happiest age group and that women are generally more satisfied with life than men.

Re: happy

Galway had its heyday back in the early 90's. I think Barcelona has today the atmosphere that Galway had back in those days. Laid back, lots of life and charm, everyone smiling, not over-regulated, not expensive, not all into money. I spent many happy years living in Galway but the place I knew is long gone, and though I really enjoy visiting my friends there I could never go back to living there again.

Shabby Galway - I agree

I was born and rared in Galway. And now I have moved 20 miles east. And I won't be going back. I agree with most everything that was said in this thread. Galway has lost all its charm. It's being built up without any thought or consideration. It's such a shame.

Re: Shabby Galway - I agree

Speaking of Galway again - my hubbie arrived back complaining bitterly about a certain well know, tourist trap of a fish and chips restaurant/takeaway, just up from the Spanish Arch.
From what he said about the total lack of cleanliness and the slapping of food onto plates that are too small made me very ashamed. Would the owners of the said establishment for heavens sake take note and invest in a good steam cleaners for the corners of the counters - its owned by an old Galway family who should know better......please copy this to them and the local Hygiene Inspector,for heavens sake.

"please copy this to them and the local Hygiene Inspector,for heavens sake. "

If you feel so strongly why not contact the Hygiene Inspector yourself [broken link removed]

Vanilla & Coyote, were Shamrock Rovers playing in Galway that day by any chance :lol

Re: Shamrock Rovers

Is that a band? Hmmm, dont think I know them- would I have heard one of their songs?

Shabby Galway chipper

I know the place Anna is talking about, and I have to say this place (plaice? :) ) has gone downhill over the last while. Too busy grabbing your dosh to bother with even a token clean-up, and yes, they use little better than side plates to disguise what are only meagre portions. I decided a while ago I wouldn't be going back in there.

Sadly, this sort of crappy service isn't exclusive to Galway, though...

Back