Sewage treatment system

madge1983

Hi all,
We are just coming to the final stages of building a house & now need to install a sewage treatment system.
We havent a clue even where to start looking - anyone have any advise?

What tpye of system was specified in your Planning Permission ? What part of the country are you in, ring up CoCo and they might have a list of approved systems and installers.

Secman

We're in Tipperary so would be looking for suppliers in the general south east area.
I think it just specified that it had to be a treatment system rather than a septic tank

Hi Madge, no connection with this company, haven't even used them yet, all I can tell you is that we needed a sewage treatment system (most houses do) and the Oakstown BAF system from O'Reilly Oakstown are doing it for us for €4800 which I think is quite reasonable. Meant to be good. Actually mentioned on this site a good while back and hence looked into it.

Thanks a million abbica - ill give them a try, doesnt seem to be too many out there dealing in these!

Was at the Self Build Show in Galway a few weeks ago and there were at least 10 companies dealinh in treatment units.

The ones I spoke to were

Klargester (Kingspan)
Envirocare (Kingspan)
Bio Uro Clean Castlebar
Carlow Precast (Aquastar)
Bord na Mona (Puraflow)
EPS Mallow (Bison)
O Reilly oakstown

Nearly all have agents/reps nationwide

I think it just specified that it had to be a treatment system rather than a septic tank
Before you go to much further you need to confirm this. If there are any specific requirements you need to be sure you comply with them.

..doesnt seem to be too many out there dealing in these!
This previous post details the link and steps required to check companies with IAB certification, which will provide a list of potential suppliers for you to review.

Builder ed - thats great info, thanks a million. Ill have a look on the net for all of those companies.
Satanta, ill check the conditions of planning this evening to make sure that i know all of the conditions attached re the sewage system.

Has anybody used a reed Bed instead of a Raised Percolation area ? My planning conditions stipulate the use of a raised bed which will necessitate bringing in topsoil and the costs will be comparable to purchasing a reed bed system. Do they pass all the EPA regulations etc ?

Has anybody used a reed Bed instead of a Raised Percolation area ? My planning conditions stipulate the use of a raised bed which will necessitate bringing in topsoil and the costs will be comparable to purchasing a reed bed system. Do they pass all the EPA regulations etc ?

a reed bed is a tertiary treatment system whereas a percolation area is a secondary treatment system...

a reed bed is a tertiary treatment system whereas a percolation area is a secondary treatment system...

My understanding is that Reed Beds are used extensively abroad as effective secondary and tertiary treatment in place of Percolation.

I must install a treatment system which is in accordance with the EPA Wastewater Treatment Manual. Are reed beds not approved by the EPA as a secondary treatment method?

you are correct that it MAY be considered as a secondry treatment system, however there are disadvantages:

a 'contructed wetland' system still requires a polishing filter....
thers a lack of agreed design criteria...
system remains unproven for BOD and SS removal.....
health and safety, and security issues.....
concern about disease vectors...
difficulty in maintaining uniform distribution of flow at inlet...

all from:
[broken link removed]
check page 46

also.... a very important factor....

who will sign off an unproven system???

Was at the Self Build Show in Galway a few weeks ago and there were at least 10 companies dealinh in treatment units.

The ones I spoke to were

Klargester (Kingspan)
Envirocare (Kingspan)
Bio Uro Clean Castlebar
Carlow Precast (Aquastar)
Bord na Mona (Puraflow)
EPS Mallow (Bison)
O Reilly oakstown

Nearly all have agents/reps nationwide

Builder ED - I have contacted the above companies re quote for waste water treatment systems & so far EPS in Mallow have come back with the best price.
Have you or anyone else had dealings with them or their products in the past?

Hi Madge,
I am at this stage also and was just wondering if your engineer has specified pumped or gravity as this has an effect on price.
Tom.

madge,

don't just look at the cost of buying the unit. How much will it cost to run. Biodisc uses 86 watts 24/7, versus the klargester using 50watts, this means the klargester is abot 50€ cheaper to run per year, for 20 years €1000 saving. how much is the maintenance costs, see what the annual maintenance costs are and look for references to see if customers happy.

i haven't used any of these plants, but have had klargester recommended to me before.

Hi Madge,
I am at this stage also and was just wondering if your engineer has specified pumped or gravity as this has an effect on price.
Tom.
Tom,
The engineer has specified that it has to be gravity, so that works in our favour.
Niall - thanks for the advice, never really thought of the energy use, will consider it as well, thanks!

Just a quick note to advise my current situation with Envirocare who are meant to be Klargester in Ireland.

My tank has been giving problems for years and packed up and after months and years of hassle with the system (in house before I moved in), they arrived in May to inspect the problem and quickly advised that they would repair the fault. Previously refused to look at system as it was sold before Kingspan bought the Irish rights.

After months of promises and the engineer was capable of fixing the problems and after three times of having the tank cleared they refused to do the job.

My own team will now do the job, but as for parts -- from Envirocare not a chance after waiting months despite all the promises in the world.

Yesterday I contacted Klargester in the UK who have nothing to do with Envirocare or Kingspan and I ordered the parts and paid for them and should be with me on Monday morning.

Basically if you want a Klargester Perculating system, try them in the UK and they have an agent in this country who has no ties with the other messers.

Back