Setting up heat pump for maximum efficiency while on EV tariff

bittered

I'm renting so not very familar with how I should set up the heat pump given our electricity rates.

We're on the Bord Gais EV tariff and rates are:

Day: 28.49
Peak (5pm-7pm): 39.73
Night: 21.48
EV (2am-5am): 7.26

Should I put the water and heat on some sort of schedule/timer or should I just leave everything to work away on its own without setting a schedule?

I would set the hot water to heat up between 2 and 5 (you could also set it for an hour later on in the day if you find you run out or people have late showers) also useful to set parts of the house (downstairs usually) to heat up a little higher (1-2 degrees) at the cheaper rate as the house should retain the heat during the day and call for less when its more expensive.

I would set the hot water to heat up between 2 and 5 (you could also set it for an hour later on in the day if you find you run out or people have late showers)
Got it! Will do this.

set parts of the house (downstairs usually) to heat up a little higher (1-2 degrees) at the cheaper rate as the house should retain the heat during the day and call for less when its more expensive.
Any idea how to do this? I seem to only be able to set a schedule or completely turn off the schedule. I have a Dimplex A-class controller.

Heat-Pump-Controller-350px.png

Got it! Will do this.

Any idea how to do this? I seem to only be able to set a schedule or completely turn off the schedule. I have a Dimplex A-class controller.

Heat-Pump-Controller-350px.png
can you set a schedule to have the house at say 23 degrees between 2 and 5 am (downstairs) and then decreasing to 21 or whatever you normally have it at after that, if the airtightness is good it should retain that heat for a good portion of the early part of the day.

The absolute most important thing you need to understand with heat pumps is that they are at their most efficient when the flow temperature through either the uf loops or radiators is the lowest possible. Many heat pumps are left at factory settings and are not optimised and while you may well have a nice warm house you will pay a fortune on your esb bills. And the only real way to optimise is by trial and error by reducing the flow temperarure every couple days until you feel cold, then you've gone too far and set it back to the last setting where you were comfortable.
You need to do this for at least two outdoor temperatures, one mild and one cold.
Also remember it is a false economy to shut down rooms which you're not using, keep all room heated and allow the hp do what it does.

And heat pumps are designed to run all the time, completely different to what we've all grew up on with oil and gas central heating systems. If you run you heat pump like the old way (on for a couple hours then off for half a day etc), it won't work, i.e. you will have high bills and a cold house.

You could also get a different stat too suit your HP or a weather compensator too work along the stat.
What brand/model heat pump do you have ?

I'm not saying it is the cheapest as I have not played around with other setups, but my current setup is
1. Hot water only heats during 2am to 5am
2. 1 degree setback temperature between 9pm and 3am

I am also considering using a 1 degree setback for peak time as well.

Back