Setting up a website

liaconn

I want to set up a blog and was thinking of using simplesite. Does anyone know anything about them? Or could you advise on an alternative host?

wordpress is one of the better ones. Depends on what you want it for really. If it's "just" a personal blog, that would be fine. Quick to set up, easy to use, and of course, free

I know some people who have had success with wordpress although the sites do have a generic look to them.

Mabe check out blogs you like the look off and find out what they are using?

Whats the blog on? Sounds interesting!

Hi

Thanks for the replies. That's really useful information.

I do a fair bit of creative writing and although I've published bits and pieces I'm just looking for another outlet to keep me writing and getting feedback. I was thinking of just a fairly general blog that I would write mainly for enjoyment. Probably won't generate much feedback or interest but I've nothing to lose.

Probably won't generate much feedback or interest but I've nothing to lose.

Sounds great, do pm me the link when its up and running (see, youve generated interested already!!). If its successful you could collate all the work and self publish a book using CreateSpace.

Will do. :) I'll wait until I have a few pieces posted to make it worth your while going in. Also, please feel free to give feedback.

Ive seen blogs where comments are enabled so you could get feedback directly - however, youd have to keep on top of it so that you didnt get a load of spambots or general crazies posting!

Or blogger/blogspot. :)

Honestly, you'll just need to spend a bit of time browsing blogs and making note of what platform the ones you like are on and maybe even just set up a wordpress one and a blogger one and a typepad one and a whatever-else-there-is one and tinker a bit with them until you've found the one you like using the most. I set up my original blog on blogspot and when I then wanted to set one up for personal family stuff, keeping it private, I decided to go for wordpress because so many people were so enthusiastic about it. And I really, really don't like working with wordpress. I find blogger much easier to use. Similarly, if I have ever had issues with leaving comments on anyone else's blog, they are almost always on wordpress.

There are lots of blog posts on how to write a blog. Google that and read through them and then remember that no matter what other people say, there aren't really actually any rules and even if you don't litter your posts with pictures or abide by some other "rule", people may still read your blog. And it sounds a bit like your attitude is like mine anyway and you just want to write and it's nice if people read but not absolutely necessary. I will admit to getting a kick out of reading the stats since that function was introduced a couple of years ago but I didn't miss it when it wasn't there.

Enjoy it. I love blogging. Changed my life - realising that there are other people in the world who are the same shade of odd as I am. :)

Edited to add: I do know a couple of people (via reading their blogs for example) who have set up small businesses advising others on setting up a blog and/or website. PM me if you like and I will send you their websites. Cannot vouch for their work or give you any information on pricing, just know a few who do it as a sideline.

Back