Setting up a .ie website - tax implications?

Bill Shatner

I once heard or read somewhere before not to ever register a .ie website as it has higher tax implications than a .com. Is this making any sense or did I dream it?

Taxation and domain name registration don't over lap so it must have been a dream. Registering a .com domain name is cheaper than a .ie domain, but either way it's not a massive cost.

If you're targetting the Irish market it would be a good idea to have the .ie secured but as dearg says, there are no tax implications.

You could even just point the .ie to your .com domain

i have a .ie website and all you need is a business registration numer of the name you intend to register (to prove you are intitled to it i guess).

You used to have to have a vat number to register .ie domains - that might be it.

Thats what I was getting confused about. I think what I heard before was that it was much harder to get a .ie than a .com

Im asking here as the company name Im registering is long gone as a .com so my next option is to do it as a .ie (the .eu's never really took off and every other .org and .net just doesnt look professional in my humble opinion)

Thanks for the input ;)

I think what I heard before was that it was much harder to get a .ie than a .com

It is a bit more difficult, in that you have to prove some level of ownership of the name to get the .ie domain whereas you don't to get the .com, but if you've registered the business name with CRO, then that will be sufficient to prove ownership. After that it's very straightforward.

Registered Business Names do not have to be unique (do a search for "spar" or "mace" on cro.ie to see what I mean)

To register a .ie domain all you need to provide (normally) is the registered business name and number which you get from the CRO

Back