Servicing petrol mowers

Caveat

It's a push type one rather than a 'ride on'.

Nothing wrong with it, bought it new last year but as it may be going back into service soon, just had a look at the manual which recommends a complete oil change after the 1st 25 hours of use and then after every 100 hours.

It has already done about 70 hours of cutting without problems or any attention. I guess I should at least change the oil now. What are the thoughts on this - do people bother servicing these? how much is it likely to cost?

I wouldn't want to spend too much servicing a €600 lawnmower - but then again I want it to last...

Important to service at start of each cutting season to prolong life of mower. Sent mine in for oil change, blade sharpen, wheel tighten etc €60, money well spent in my opinion.

I've got a petrol mower that was serviced once in its first 10 years (wasn't in my possession at that time!). There were problems starting, the blade had lost some sharpness and the start-rope was beginning to fray.

Got it serviced in mid-2006, cost me 100 euro (including new blade & start-rope) and it's gone like a dream ever since!

Hi gipimann,

Can you post up where you got it serviced? I'm also based in Drogheda.

Thanks,

teddyk.

Important to service at start of each cutting season to prolong life of mower. Sent mine in for oil change, blade sharpen, wheel tighten etc €60, money well spent in my opinion.

60e every year, approx 1/10 of the value of mower every year?!

I suggest that a) if you are anyway mechanically capable this is a 15min job. b) this job does not need to be carried out every year.

How happy would you be to spend 4k every year to service your 40k car that you use once a week?

No offence but I think this is madness...

Back