Servicing a gas boiler...any value out there?

gebbel

My gas boiler is due a service. I created a tender on tenderme.com last week and nobody has replied! Bord Gais are doing a "deal" for 110euro (labour only) which includes some hotel discount in the back of beyond. I have rang around and am getting quotes of 90 euro and upwards. Does that sound normal in these times when the cost of goods and services is going down?
The last time I had my boiler serviced it took the guy about 20 minutes, and if I recall he was over 5 minutes removing the screws.

€90 upwards sounds about right - i would recommend using a registered Installer for Safety reasons - [broken link removed]

So these guys have not reduced their prices by one cent since the recession hit us? That's a bit rich is it not?

try this guy his name is john .he serviced mine on tuesday and he was cheaper than that .you'll need a Domestic Premises Gas Installation Cert which he'll give for your ins . his no is 087 2439035. i dont know him !

How funny, I was just about to reply to this thread when I realised that I am about to recommend the same guy as the previous poster! His name is John Reilly 087 2439035. Very reasonable rates and he fixed something else in my house and didn't charge me for it.

So these guys have not reduced their prices by one cent since the recession hit us? That's a bit rich is it not?

As of from the 26th of june this year, all gas work must be certified and done by a registered gas installer.

Names of people on the list can be found here.

[broken link removed]

If your installers name is not on this list, they are not a registered gas installer and can be fined and jailed for working, unqualified and uninsured on gas.

No, the registration system for gas installers will make it very costly to work as a serviceing engineer so reducing prices would be quite difficult at the moment for decent engineers who are charging a far price, i don't include rip of merchants who will continue to overcharge registered or not, Gary.

I agree with the previous posters that prices could go up if anything as the trading conditions and standards are very high for properly registered gas service people and costs reflect these eg. insurance, training, issuing certs for every gas job etc.

What would a standard service of a gas boiler entail? What cert would you expect to get?

you should expect 'declaration of conformance cert' and if you dont get one the serviceman is breaking the law

as for 20mins, a good hour for a full service....alot more than just hovering your boiler (when i get a half hour i will detail a full service here for all the pick over)

remember, a service should be enough to reduce and possible breakdowns, ensure safe operation of the appliace, check efficieny, and cert your entire gas installation

to be honest, i have not risen my prices in 4 years, yet, i now have to pay extra registration charges every year, pay nearly 5euro for each cert i have to issue since june 26 this year, my insurance has tripled this year for no reason, all my overheads van, fuel, parts etc have risen in cost, yet i have borune this, so i dpont see how I could lower my prices think it would be time to hang my hat instead

as for tendering for you gas boiler service, for 80euor! what do you want a bidding war, I hope you do get the service, and always remember you get exactly what you pay for

OK I will elaborate on the issue I am having with my boiler, and my worries about getting the job done. The bolier is a Glowworm Micron. Lately when I start it, it runs fine for a while..then silence. I reckon the flame is not "firing", even thought it is still switched on. I can re-start it at all times by resetting the boiler using the switch..it fires up again and all is well. Problem is that's no use when I want hot water at 6am in the morning.
I rang a few guys today and explained the above. The 1st guy (who was recommended by someone on boards.ie) said that the problem sounded like "a faulty sparking solenoid" that would cost about €40. He said call out charge would be €80 so I could expect to pay about €150 in total!! He said he was going to buy the replacement part anyway, even if the problem was completely different when he got here and that "I could use the part another time anyway". I bid my farewells.
Next guy said that the problem sounded like a "faulty pcb" or something like that. Total cost of part €250 so I was looking at €350 in total.
Now I'm thinking the 3rd guy I call will have a different story and a different cost...the whole thing just makes me deeply suspicious of these guys.
BTW It has also been suggested that a bit of dirt could be responsible.

A service person will never know until they look at it.It's like ringing 10 mechanics and saying my car is broken, bet they alll will have different opinions, atleast until they see it.

Some people drive me crazy when they ring and say, "how much to service boiler?" My first question always is "Is it working" they say "no" I say "I can only service something that actually works"

It always leads to the question, "how much will it cost to fix?".

The only answer is to that is first look at it, find fault and give price. It would take a good service person to diagnosis a problem over the phone with inaccurate information and be right all the time.

What would a standard service of a gas boiler entail?

as for 20mins, a good hour for a full service....alot more than just hovering your boiler (when i get a half hour i will detail a full service here for all the pick over)

Heres a good post DGOBS made earlier that pretty much sums up what a service should entail, although the soundness test isn't required by law, it certainly is good practice.

Frequent Poster

Re: Gas boiler service
Well, a hour to service a boiler would be about right in my estimation, yes it can be done quicker, but as I posted above, if correct proceedures for soundness are followed it ammounts to nearly 20 mins. (which I observe)
ie. 5 min stabilisation 2 min test let by, 2 min test soundness, on exit 5 min & 2 again....

Add to that you, open, remove the burner, clean, check all connections, remove fan and clean, re assemble,.....lets say a safe 15 mins

Fire the boiler, test your max/min pressures, then give it 5 mins warm up,
perform a gas rating.......lets say a total of 10 mins

Then also do the 'BG' FGA, another few mins.........lets say 2

OK now we are up to 47 mins, again you wirte it up, have a quick check of a few rads (looking for sludge problems etc) maybe top up system pressure (as you have noticed usually in the hot press in Ireland)

Then address your customer, make sure they are happy and know how to use the appliance correctly or any other concerns they might have....I think I can safely say an hour.........would be VALUE for money

I am not ready to run in and out and provide half a service.......

Also, you refer to 'BG' service, FGA only, seems to be comming back into vouge with the HE condesing boilers, as with some you are obliged to replace seals etc once you have opened the burner chamber / heat exchanger.......manufacturers instruction say FGA is enough, unless safety ratio is above 0.0040 then full strip down required, I would see the first part as a 'mini' service or safety check and charge accordingly

Hi Davy,

had forgotten I wroote that a year or so ago......
Soundness is now a requirement (annex e and annex c I think it is) as we now sign that off too on the new cert!! (a practice I know you do too anyhow)

as for the gloworm problem ...maybe flame rectifcation or pcb, or gas valve, or thermister, or partially blocked venturi, or failing fan, failing pump, partially block heat exchanger....the list goes on....dog needs to see the rabbit..........does you doctor diagnose over the phone...i think not!

What I usually do, is call to see the boiler, if I can fix oon the spot, well and good, if a part is required that I dont stock (again another overhead must be 15000euro of parts in my van i kid you not!) i will order it, and charge only for the second call out

Gebbel, your post began with you tendered for a boiler service, but has now changed to a breakdown!

The chap I recommended is registered with the Gas Co. and he spent best part of 2 hours servicing the boiler.

ALL servicemen & installers MUST be registered, or face 15000 euro fine or 3 years!

ALWAYS INSIST ON SEEING THE INSTALLERS ID CARD

For a full list of registered installers, goto rgii.ie and look up the new list (no John Rielly listed unless he is trading under something else, but thought the persons name had to also be registered, I could be mistaken)

Gebbel, your post began with you tendered for a boiler service, but has now changed to a breakdown!

Hi. Yep I know I need more than just a service. I should have said that from the start. But it's not a complete breakdown. I mean it is working but I have to reset it from time to time which of course cannot continue.

Anyway folks I rang the chap that 2 of the posters recommended above. A proper gentleman who said his rate for service alone is 50 euro!! Now regardless of extra parts etc., that is what I call value for money. I told him his name was flying around on a pretty popular internet forum so he was happy about that! He is based in Dundrum but unfortunately was not too keen to travel to me in Louth. He has given me another number who I will call tomorrow.

So there is value to be had in the gas boiler servicing game afer all!

OK my quest for value continues here! If the problem I am having with the boiler is related to a faulty pcb, as has been suggested, then I am looking at about 250 euro for a new one. Now I remember reading somewhere recently, that these can be purchased from the UK (possibly refurbished?) at a much discounted price. I have searched for this but can't find it now. Any ideas?

It could just be the pilot is blocked with dirt. I would still get a registered gas installer out to check and give it a proper service.

Back