Services and computers

darex

Does anyone know the pros and cons of getting a service done by a garage which has the computer equipment to connect to a given make of car. I have heard that engine management issues for instance are much easily diagnosed if the garage has the relevant computers.

Normally a garage would only have computers for those makes for which it is a dealer - at least i believe that to be the case.

Hi,
Well the pros are they should be able to hook up a computer and diagnose any problems on your car.
So when I was servicing my renault car recently I thought I better bring it to a renault garage so they could do this.
But when I was picking it up after the service , I found they hadn't fixed all the issues I had with it and they didn't plug in any computer. They just did two or three visual checks and fixed one particular problem and then t charge me 380euros for the service.
So they won't necessarily hook up a computer unless you ask them.
I noticed also that this dealer was mega busy and didn't really have time to talk to me or his mechanics for that matter. I actually think you get a better all round service with a garage that is less busy. So from now on I'm going to a guy who I know from experience gives you a good service at a reasonable price and is not a dealer garage.

All Renaults have to be serviced at Renault garages as they reset the service interval computer, only renault can do this unless your car is pre '00.
Scam with Renault.
My mechanics wife bought a new megane last year, he services cars
from his house as mixers , he cant even service his wifes megane as it can only be done at a renault garage at ripp off prices for the above reason.

i work for a very large dealership and can tell you your car dosent go near a computer during servicing unless it has a specific problem .and now adays any self respecting mechanic back lane or dealer should have diagnostic equipment as it is cheap to buy .you can buy fault code readers that plug into any car for as little as 200 euro.so you can check you own car before you bring it .

ford jedi said:
i work for a very large dealership and can tell you your car dosent go near a computer during servicing unless it has a specific problem .and now adays any self respecting mechanic back lane or dealer should have diagnostic equipment as it is cheap to buy .you can buy fault code readers that plug into any car for as little as 200 euro.so you can check you own car before you bring it .

Thats very interesting ford jedi - would there be a difference in the info from a 200 euro fault code reader and a manufacturer specific one the a dealer would have - or are they all retreiving the same information?

yes the main dealer computers have alot more detail but if would like to why your engine managemt light is on you just plug your code reader in and it will tell you the root of the fault and you can turn the light off after you replace the nessary part

Back