Service charge for a new property

C

csr

Hi,

I am buying a new apartment block contracts are signed, before signing contracts EA told me that the maintanace charges would be around €1300 per annum. Nothing was mentioned about the maintanace charges, who maintains the estate in the contracts.

While closing the sale, sellor solicitor send us an invoice of €2100.00 towards Service charge.

My solicitor says he can't do any thing about this my point is why this was not mentioned in the contracts and what my solicitor was doing?

TA,

SR

Hi csr, you will have a management agency who you pay service charges to annually. You are a member of this company and as such are entitled to attend AGM and appoint directors, etc.

These charges to tend to increase dramatically but unfortunately there is little that can be done about it.

The company then take care of the common areas such as stairwells, corridors, lifts, rooftop gardens, etc.

Hi Thrifty, thanks for your response. I am aware of the how service charges works. Infact I am been paying these charges in my previous apartment as well. (Only €600 per annum ).

I think €2100 is too high for now considering there is no other amenties such as Gym.

My poing why this was not clearly mentioned while signing the contracts?

TA,

SR

Is it work checking neighbours.ie to see if you can get in touch with other buyers in the development?

csr, well seeing as you knew about service charges on your previous apartment, then I would have thought you should have been a little wiser to have asked about this before you even made an offer on the property in the first place. sorry if this sounds harsh but this is one of the first questions I ask before putting offers in on leasehold properties ! some developments even charge up to £2,500 + for SC per annum. is there ground rent ? high service charges are fairly normal these days. the SC usually includes the cost of your buildings insurance so all these costs are high these days and repairs to apartment blocks are not cheap, the intercom system is usually included as is the communal lighting costs. gardening and cleaning and the mgmt co. have to create a sinking fund for any major decoration externally and internally in the future. its all part of the course when you buy a leasehold apartment.

Back