Septic Tank on a 0.1 Acre Site...?

So how many thousands of old country homes are on sites of circa .1/.2 of an acre with septic tanks 4 feet from the back of the house. Particularly old holiday bungalows etc near beaches that were built years ago.
Does that mean that none of those houses can ever be bought to be redeveloped because they would never get planning permission in terms of septic tank replacement?

I did a case a few years ago where a house had not been built in compliance with the planning permission, there was no Architects Opinion on compliance and the house and septic tank had been wrongly positioned. My client had to apply for retention and the Local Authority imposed the current, more stringent, septic tank regulations.

So, yes, I think these issues will arise on redevelopment and any potential purchasers should see their architect/engineer for advice before purchasing.

mf

The tank wont be your problem, its the percolation area.

The percolation area is an area of ground usually about 200 sq. metres in size in which the overflow/sewage from the septic tank is piped to. The sewage is distributed through the percolation area by means of perforated pipes (spreader drains)

The percolation area has to be 20 metres from any house, 10 metres from any road or open drain/stream/river, 3 metres from site boundary. If there are any springs or wells in the area the seperating distances can be 100 metres or more.

Now as you can see it is impossible to achieve the above on a 0.1 acre site.

End of.

All you ever wanted to know about septic tanks but were afraid to ask - [broken link removed]

someone in work told me that plannign authorities will always give permission for a site (no matter how small) that has a currently standing liveable dwelling? Anyoen heard of that?

they might give planning but it would be to current regulations and if the site is too small it would be impossible to meet the regulations

Back