September Update email from PaYPAL

Branz

[broken link removed]
Your September account update.
Hi
Welcome to your monthly account update, reminding you that your latest PayPal transactions are ready to view. To see your activity, simply head over to PayPal.com/ie and log in to your account.

Remember, we don’t send or ask for personal information by email, and we’ll always address you by your first and last name. ( they did this but never had one of these before so am suspicious)
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed] [broken link removed]

I am a PayPal customer and I did not get such an email. But I haven't had a transaction for a while, so maybe it's just for active users.

They should not put a link into an email. They should just ask you to log on to paypal. It's easy to spoof email addresses.
Brendan

A quick check to help verify a link received via such emails, before clicking on it, hover the mouse over the link (without clicking), and check the address the link is redirecting to in the browser status bar.

Phising links will use sites that look similar to the genuine one, but you should be able to spot the fake ones easily enough. So links like peypal.com or paypal.com.phising.com/link should raise alarm bells. Never let curiosity get the better of you to follow these links.

Got an email this morning but have not opened it. i have a paypal account. What is the consensus about responding to it???.

I received an email from 'Paypal' this morning but seemed suspicious and the link was to some random Australian website. I deleted it along with BOI 365 email. If in doubt, delete!

I followed the link and deliberately entered an incorrect password. It didn't accept it. I'd imagine a fake site would accept it as it wouldn't know the password. This is the site the link in the mail brings you too:

Why would you follow a suspicious link? You know just visiting such a site can be enough to compromise your system?

https://www.paypal.com/ie/webapps/mpp/home

I got the same link but haven't clicked on it. It looks genuine to me (I think) but never know these days.

Yes, that is a genuine PayPal url.

Note that where the url is listed like that in the text in an email, the url clicking on it will take you to can be different, hence the importance of hovering the mouse over a link to check what it's really taking you to.

I right clicked on the link and selected "Copy Link Address" first. Then I could see the "https://www.paypal.com/ie.....", so was pretty sure it was PayPal.

OK, just so you're aware that even visiting a compromised site is enough to see your own machine compromised.

Also, just entering an invalid password as you did is not a test. A compromised site will most likely pass on any data you enter to the legitimate site to validate it. It may then even send you on to the genuine site so you do not become suspicious and change your details.

I recently used Paypal to buy an item from one of these GroupOn vouchers. The item was being delivered from Australia. So when I got this mail yesterday I was curious. I hovered over the link (as mentioned above) and could see there was a mention of Australia in the link. Seemed genuine and I was going to open.
But as also mentioned above - if in doubt, DELETE. If its genuine there will be another email. Also changed my password on Paypal just in case.

These emails have resulted in me not trusting any communication I get by email, from Ebay, Paypal or even the Banks.... I delete everything from such addresses now, if they are genuinely trying to communicate with me, they can find another method.

I have a Paypal account but I had not used it for quite some time. I assumed that perhaps because of a recent flurry of activity I had received this. I still didn't click on the links though. As a rule I prefer to log in and check :)

I emailed PayPal and they confirmed it was them. Assuming it was the real PayPal that got my email of course.

Back