Selling property with only dealing number

helan72

Hi,

My sister is selling a property that she bought back in 2002 - app the original title docs were lost by her original solicitor and this is now causing problems with the sale. Her present solicitors have reconstructed the title and she will have a dealing number? in the next day or so.

The problem is that the purchasers sol is refusing to accept the dealing number and wont close until all the work is done. Would this be usual as her solicitor is saying that they accept dealing numbers all the time and that it is if not common practice then at least not unusual.

Has anyone come across this kind of thing before cause the purchasers solicitor is saying it could take months!!!!!!!

thanks for any help

Dealing numbers are accepted all the time alright, when the dealing is a transfer and registration is inevitable ( pretty much). However when the dealing is an application for duplicate title documents or a first registration then the registration is in doubt so it wouldnt be accepted by any purchasers solicitor. I'd say if your sister wants a quick closing then she should look at an insurance bond for lost title deeds and offer this to the purchaser- this will have a cost element but may close the deal.

I am currently selling a property bought originally in 2001 and my solicitor is using a dealing number as the deeds as still with the land registery, so far there has been no problems ...touch wood.. My Solicitor has told me that the use of dealing numbers is not that unusual and normally no huge issue arises.

advice from Vanilla spot on. as he said if it is first regisstraation the land registry may raise queries which could delay registration.

thanks for the replies -

it is all sorted apparently the purchaser spoke with the the owner of the practice and they are accepting the dealing number. Fingers crossed it all goes well from now on.

H

Back