Selling our house to my husbands sister - stamp duty reduction.

avoca

Consanguinity Relief

My sister in law is looking to purchase our property from us. My husband and I own our property as tenants in common. Is is possible for me to gift my share in the property to my husband who will then sell the property to his sister. Will she then benefit from consanguinity relief - i.e. be eligible to pay 50% of the stamp duty owed as she is a blood relative of the vendor (ie. my husband). Are there any traps in the process. Thanks

I posted about this yesterday but I'm not sure if I explained myself correctly. We are looking to sell our home. My husbands sister has expressed an interest in purchasing it. In talking with a friend recently, he said that as she is related by blood to my husband she is eligible for a 50% reduction in stamp duty. I had a look on the web and both the seller(s) and purchaser have to be related by blood. As I co own the house (as tenants in common) with my husband and am not related by blood to my sister in law, the reduction in stamp duty would not occur. It would be a significant saving for her.
What we would like to do is this... Can i gift (or sell) my share in our property to my husband (think that is exempt from stamp duty). He would then sell the property to his sister... Is it above board and would she avail of the stamp duty reduction. Thanks

Duplicate threads merged. Don't duplicate threads. Read the posting guidelines.

Back