Selling house with ex Partner -- Legal Separation?

bighig250

Hi Folks

Would appreciate some help with this one.

I'm seperated from my ex for about a year now (never married) and we have one son. We are going to put the house on the market but she is insisting we need a legal separation before the house can be sold.

I don't understand this, surely we don't need whatever this is as we never married?

Any Thoughts??

No. If you were still together, you could sell it. So I don't see why you can't sell it, if you have separated.

What does your solicitor say?

Brendan

Brendan

I haven't been to a solicitor as yet. Do you think I would need to over this matter? I'm not really keen to consult a solicitor if I don't really need too.

Thanks mf

Its funny you should mention that she wants a greater share of the sale proceeds, as she has said that she is entitled to the majority of this when the house sells. The house is owned jointly, so does that mean a 50/50 split on any proceeds?

BTW thanks for clarification on this legal separation thing.

No of course it's not that simple! While the house may be owned jointly one of the owners may well claim for a higher percentage of the equity for a number of reasons. This claim will have to be either agreed between the parties or adjudicated upon in Court. Unless you can come to a satisfactory agreement with your ex, you need to talk to a solicitor before putting the property on the market!

Back