Selling Car and Need Some Help

jmcc99_98

Hi All,

Im in need of a bit of help, Im selling my car privately at the moment, There is a guy coming to look at it later today, I think he is quite keen and will want to do a deal straight away.

Is there anything special that needs to be done when selling the car, or do I just take the cash give him the car and log book etc.

Also is there any scams I should look out for, I believe he wants to pay cash?

Apologies if these are stupid questions but I am a complete novice when it come to this stuff.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated

Do not give him the VLC! Fill in the change of ownership part, give him a copy, and post it to Shannon.

If it's a lot of cash be wary. Have someone else there just in case.

Do not give him the VLC! Fill in the change of ownership part, give him a copy, and post it to Shannon.

If it's a lot of cash be wary. Have someone else there just in case.
OK, so I dont give him the Reg Book. I will get him to fill out his details, name address etc, give him a photocopy of it and be wary of being alone when doing the deal. Its not a huge amount of cash, we are talking around €4,500.

I then send the complete document to Shannon and I assume they will send him a new "log book"??

But if I get the cash I can let him drive off in the car yes?

i type up a piece of paper, saying xxx sold vw passet reg of car to xxx on date and time, and u and him sign it, so if he had a accident in that car later on you have proper he sign and bought "sold as seen" at a certain time.

i've done this on previous, never needed it but just in case

i type up a piece of paper, saying xxx sold vw passet reg of car to xxx on date and time, and u and him sign it, so if he had a accident in that car later on you have proper he sign and bought "sold as seen" at a certain time.

i've done this on previous, never needed it but just in case
Hey thanks thats a really good idea, would certainly give some peace of mind. Thanks again.

All other tips are greatly appreciated

Maybe im a cynic because even though I have been trying to sell this car for a few weeks I think everyone is trying to screw me over.

For security reasons you should probably deposit the cash straight away.
If it's after banking hours, you should be able to deposit it through the ATM in your local branch. At a minimum, I would be putting the cash into a bank deposit envelope in a "visible" manner.

For security reasons you should probably deposit the cash straight away.
If it's after banking hours, you should be able to deposit it through the ATM in your local branch. At a minimum, I would be putting the cash into a bank deposit envelope in a "visible" manner.
Tiger, What do you mean by your thread? I dont understand the security aspect of it except for not having money on my person

Tiger, What do you mean by your thread? I dont understand the security aspect of it except for not having money on my person
In the UK there have been a few examples of private individuals selling cars for cash and once the car has been driven off, alleged accomplices of the purchaser show up and "relieve" the vendor of the cash, thereby getting the car for nothing. As there is no provable link between the purchaser and the thieves, the vendor suffers the loss and the trauma.

Make sure you cancel your insurance and take the disc out of the windscreen.

Probably the easiest and safest way to do this is to get the buyer to come to a branch of your bank with the cash so you can deposit it straight away. Anything else really invites the possibility of later theft by various means (burglary, mugging). Not casting any aspersions on the buyer, but it has happened.

Don't forget the "sold as seen and in good faith" letter with date, time, chassis/engine number, mileage, etc. on it and to take your insurance disc out. You send off the reg. doc. to Shannon and the VLA send a new one to the buyer.

Also be very wary of test drives etc.

SSE

Hi jmcc, I dont see any problem. You are getting 4500 CASH for a car, so the money is in your pocket and he has a box on wheels)

You sign the Registration Cert. and fill in details of new owner with him looking on .YOU send the cert yourself (which states date of sale). You could give him a photo copy if he wants

No doubt ,he will want some kind of a written receipt to prove he gave you the money .

its funny - I am always wery of buying cars fdrom private sellers and suspect the seller to be dodgy ;)

Maybe the buyer has a much concerns as you?

When I last purchased from private I had a reciept printed up for the seller to sign (incase he hadnt thought of it) xxxx has sold me this car on the xxxx for the sum of xxxxx both signed it etc....

From a buyers point of view I wanted that to cover me until I got the licence cert sent out to me.

Hi to all of ye above for all your advice, I managed to sell the car this evening and all went well, two happy parties I think.

Thanks again

Back