Selling - Average time between getting money in account and handing over keys?

kerr

Hiya, just wondering what is the average time between getting the money in your account and handing over keys to the new owner (i.e. moving out of the house yourself). ?

2 weeks? 6 weeks? We'd like it to be as long as possible, but was wondering how long the average is.

You'll have to be a little more specific. If you mean getting the entire sale proceeds then you will have to hand over the keys on the same day as the house will no longer by yours.

As soon as the full balance is paid you need to hand over the keys. When my sister bought her house the people who were living their offered to rent it from her for a few months as they were waiting for their own house to be finished. As my sis was living at home and needed to save some money for furniture etc, she agreed.
Might be an option that is open to you. But if they want to move in then once they have paid the house is theirs.

As soon as the full balance is paid you need to hand over the keys. When my sister bought her house the people who were living their offered to rent it from her for a few months as they were waiting for their own house to be finished. As my sis was living at home and needed to save some money for furniture etc, she agreed.
Might be an option that is open to you. But if they want to move in then once they have paid the house is theirs.

not something a lot of purchasers would be interested in I'd imagine, given the financial implications for them if treated legitimately.

Hiya, just wondering what is the average time between getting the money in your account and handing over keys to the new owner (i.e. moving out of the house yourself). ?

2 weeks? 6 weeks? We'd like it to be as long as possible, but was wondering how long the average is.

Keys and vacant possession are 99.9999% of the time required before a Purchaser will pay over funds. So you should be gone out of the house at the time your solicitor receives the closing funds unless you have made a very specific and nowadays unusual agreement with your vendor that you will stay on.

It can be very hard to later shift vendors who have sold their house, got their money but not been organised enough to actually move out.

mf

Back