Selling Antique Furniture

M

movedhouse08

Hi, we just moved house and the previous owner left a lot of furniture behind. Its all good stuff...solid wood and antique stuff but just not to our taste. Any ideas on where we could sell these items or get them valued? Thanks

Saw an ad in the Irish Times recently for this crowd:
http://hermanwilkinson.ie/

They have auctions every week. It depends on the quality of the stuff really - I can't imagine people leaving original Chippendales in a house so would think that the stuff, while nice, won't be Sotheby's material... So maybe someone like the other crowd might be the way to go.

I have no connection with them

Sprite

My friend bought a house and it was full of the previous owners furniture- all good stuff , not rare antiques, but 35-year-old best Arnotts stuff... mahogany dining table chairs, suite, mirrors, pictures, coffee table, hall table etc- Even the carpets were the best quality....
We recently got it all off the auctioneers (Herman---mentioned above) for sale and hope it goes and raises a few bob to cover cost of clearing it all out.... (beds etc to recycling/dump/charity shops-wherever-....
Good stuff but not to her taste and friend had all her own Ikea style stuff anyway from her previous house---
It really was a surprise previous owner left it all???
Is this common???

Items need to be 100 years old to be antique. I don't think there is much of a market for 50/60 year old furniture. I have had furniture valued by Victor Mitchell in Roscrea. I just emailed him photos of the items and he gave me a rough guide price and some advice about the pieces in general. It all depends where you're located really. It mightn't be worth your while transporting the furniture if you can get rid of it closer to home at a reasonable price. You could advertise in a local paper or supermarket or the Buy & Sell. I would email photos of all the furniture to an expert and they will let you know what the best course of action is to take.

Seems such a shame to get rid of good quality furniture and replace with stuff from IKEA!!!!!!! Instead of taking cheaper wood as in IKEA stuff you would be better off keeping the good wood and painting it to suit your home. I know that sounds awful to those who appreciate mahogony and other solid woods but at least you would have quality pieces that look different too from what you pick up in IKEA.
Failing all that at least give it to a charity shop and they might make a few bob on it.

Back