Selling advice please. I need to sell my house fast! And without the help of an EA.

TillyD

Hi guys,

I’m new here but I’ve been lurking for a few months and you all seem so helpful when it comes to helping people out. Now I’m looking for some of your advice/help if you don’t mind.

I need to sell my house fast! And without the help of an estate agent. I have the house on www.daft.ie and I have the ‘For Sale’ outside the house. The estate I live in seems to sell pretty fast but I am worried about the slow down over the last few months. At present there are no houses up for sale in the estate, just ours.

I am looking for advice on what way to handle potential buyers when they ring? I’ve had a few callers who just rang to ask what the asking price is but that’s all they ask. Should I be saying any more to try and get them through the front door without being to pushy.

Also is there anywhere else I should advertise, it will be in our local paper next week. Is there anywhere I can advertise it for free?

I really need to sell this house because the vendors of the house we want to buy won’t accept our bid until our house is sold.

Tilly.

Re: Selling advice please.

There are a few exsisting threads on DIY selling of your home that might be worth searching out and reading.

Is your house priced cheaper than what a similar house would have went for 6 months ago for example.? If you are looking for a quick sale I would imagine you would need to come in under what the market in your area in has been recently commanding. Even if you do get a quick agreement on price it could still take weeks in legals, is the house you want to buy generating much interest? If it is you may have to make a radical move. You will always get 'tyre kicker' types ringing up, could be one of your neighbours being nosy.

Put up decent photos and lots of them! I can't believe the number of houses for sale with a terrible photo of the corner of a room or just one of the outside and feck all else. Don't leave out a key room either, like a bathroom, people might wonder what's wrong with it.

I would post the asking price, to be honest: you've a better chance of attracting in serious potential buyers, who may sometimes assume that if its price on application, it's too expensive.

Thanks,

I have plenty of photos but I didn't post one of the bathroom. It's very clean and up to date but it's a tad on small size, do you think I should still put it in? I was also leaving out one of the bedrooms just so there was something to look at when viewers called. What do you think of that?

A few weeks ago a house sold in here and my asking price is the same as theirs. Also I know their house went for 9k above the asking price. It is also priced 15k lower than a new housing estate up the road. The new housing estate is smaller and above the ftb bracket. We're semi detached.

The house is up since last Monday so I'm hoping I'll start to get viewings after the weekend. My main concern is that buyers will be put off because it's a private sale. Is there anything I can do about that?

Sorry for all the question. I just really need to get this house sold and I can't justify paying out 3-4k to an EA.

Tilly.

What is buyers perceptions of private sales? I am interested to know, as I am thinking of going down this route. Are you on Daft and Myhome?

I know when I sold a house in Roscommon a few months ago my girlfriend put a free ad in the Buy and Sell with the details and price.
I was amazed how many calls we got and the eventual buyer came through that route.
We were with an estate agent but I felt he was dragging his feet and decided to find a buyer for him :rolleyes: . I'm now living in Dublin so it wasn't really feasible to be down showing off the property. If I was selling in Dublin, I'd be following your route. You'll probably do a better job than most estate agents who just have a bit of neck.

If you don't have an asking price in your add on daft, definetly put it in. Many people have saved/constant search criteria. And it nearly always includes an upper price limit. If you've no price quoted, your house may not show up on their search. And even if it does, many people will be suspicious if there was no price quoted. I know I would be at least.

Yes, include the price. POA usually means "You Can't Afford It" to buyers

I have the price with the advert.

Liternau, I just have my house on daft. I reckon if people log on to one they'll log on to the other while they're at it.

I must get it in the buy and sell. Thanks for the tip!

I have the price with the advert.

Liternau, I just have my house on daft. I reckon if people log on to one they'll log on to the other while they're at it.

I must get it in the buy and sell. Thanks for the tip!
Apologies, I assumed you didn't as people were ringing up to find out the price.

Hi, would this site be of any use?

I have no connection with it other than hearing the woman who runs it speak about it on the business show on Radio 1 last Sunday morning.

I am looking for advice on what way to handle potential buyers when they ring? I’ve had a few callers who just rang to ask what the asking price is but that’s all they ask. Should I be saying any more to try and get them through the front door without being to pushy.

Of course you should be pushing....you want to sell! You don't have to be pushy pushy. When someone rings you they are usually hoping to get more info but can sometimes be shy about asking, especially if they know they are speaking to the owner rather than an agent. You should be ready to tell them how many bedrooms you have, how old the house is, how close you are to schools/shops etc. Ask them if they know the estate, if they have kids etc. etc. Tell them how much you love the area but you've moving to a bigger house or different town or whatever the case may be. You can also point out that you have the house keenly priced for a quick sale. You should also offer them to have a look at the house at any stage.

There is no need to post up a photo of every room in the house. All people generally want to see is the Kitchen, Sitting Room, a Bedroom and perhaps the Hall or some other room that looks good in a photo and of course a photo of the outside of the house. You should also include your room dimensions.

On the website issue, myhome does have a much wider market but daft is catching on. It costs around €180 to advise on myhome.

Just out of curiosity, if a house in your estate has just made €9k more than you are asking for yours, why would you not consider using an EA and paying him/her €4k, you'd still end up with what you are currently looking for in to your hand less the stress and hassle of handling all the calls and viewings yourself.

Best of luck with it all anyhow.:)

As a buyer I find no pleasure in estate agents, they can never answer any questions! 'How big is the garden? eh it's probably in the brochure..' on the other hand when you get viewings I would try and leave the person to it, they won't be able to relax if you're hovering after them.
I wouldn't worry about a photo of the 2nd bedroom unless it's nice, then stick it in, i'd stick the bathroom in too, if it's nice a fresh looking at least it's reassuring, the size will probably not be that apparent.
Would you ask your neighbours that sold for advice? Maybe they were just lucky with the right person looking.
Good luck with it!

Check out the comments on this thread http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=44901 . In addition make sure that the outside photos are sunny , a summer photo of the patio area is better than any bedroom shot .
A "premium advert" on daft is worthwhile so that you are always top of the list . How many hits are you getting on daft per day ? IMO don't waste money on newspaper adverts .
myhome.ie is monopolised by EAs [broken link removed] , you can forget about advertising there !
On the phone tell people , " if you want to drop over to see the house , there is no problem as we are here all afternoon/ evening " put a note on daft " pm and weekend visits possible" The objective of adverts and phone calls is to get them to visit the house full stop.
best of luck
pjq

Hi,

The reason I didn’t go with the neighbours EA is that I’m hoping with a few bidders, my house will match their selling price and I can still pocket the extra cash – maybe not but that’s my plan!

We've been looking at houses over the last 12 months and we’ve been in touch with sooo many EA and I can honestly say they weren’t up to my standard. Simple things like not knowing the size of the site that the house was on, not returning calls and never ever on time for viewings which I thought was just terrible. Some rang to say they were delayed and others just didn’t bother.

I have the house on daft because most of the houses sold in my area are there and not as many, if any on myhome. I have also made up a house brochure (copied it from another house brochure I got) and so far I haven’t had the chance to give it to anyone. I am asking on the phone if they want me to post it out but no takers…

Thanks for the tips referring the phone calls. I will have to start giving a little more info. It’s only up a week and I’m getting so worried that I won’t get the buyers in but I’ll give it a few weeks and see how it goes.

Please keep the advice/tips coming.

Many thanks, Tilly.

Re: Selling advice please. I need to sell my house fast! And without the help of an E

I admire what you are doing and would use the same route myself if in your position.
With regard to viewings show them around and make sure to point out the good features of the house - granite worktops, solid floorings, size of room, storage space etc and then let them roam freely.
Me sure no clutter/pets etc, Vanilla pod in the oven before hand gives off a nice aroma, as do fresh flowers.
Best of luck with it it's early days yet.

I need your opinions on this one... On Friday I got a flyer in the door from a EA saying that they had a database of people looking to buy in this estate and to contact them if we were selling. If this is the truth could we contact them and tell them if they bring people through the door and make the sale they get the commission. If we bring the people through they get nothing! They don't even have to advertise just get in touch with the people they have on their database.

What dya think guys could this work. I won't think about doing for another few weeks though.

A DATABASE ..... em , probably people queuing at their office this morning eager to get on the database , hope their computer is big enough to hold all the names . I think that you know the answer yourself , the flier might contain some slight exageration ?
If you want to cut a deal with an EA , you should choose them ( not vice versa) , they will phone you frequently . Pick one that can cover what you cant , a window display in a good location plus access to myhome.ie , do take what they say with a grain of salt! Remax might be more flexable than the others .
pjq

Back