Selling a cottage?

Ford5610

I intend to be selling a 3 cottage/house in the coming months. I am looking for advice about estate agents, what questions do I need to be asking them about selling a property? How do I decide on what estate to go with as they will all promise you that they will sell it. Is it a bad time of the year? looking for advice...

This is a good time of year, between now and the Christmas lull.

You will have to say what area of the country you are in to get a recommendation.

Generally look at who sells the majority of houses in the area. You want a busy office but not so busy that they won't give your property full attention.

A test I would try is to ring up a number of agents posing as a potential buyer interested in a nearby property, see how well they deal with your enquiry. Many agents will have an admin person take your details and promise an agent will get back to you. See how long that takes.

To me it depends on the location, if its a cottage in the country, ie, where it could be used as a holiday home, it's the worst time to sell. It would be like putting a convertible up for sale now. The romantic part of the sale is a non runner. So although ringing up the estate agent is a good idea, it really depends on the location.

Back