self-employed income tax expenses

sp4sami

Hello I am new to this forum. I did work as a self-employed engineering contractor up until 2013 before going back to being employed. Now completing my tax return for 2013 I am trying to find out if I am ok to deduct following expenses from my income:
A) During last year I did move my residence twice (once while still self-employed - I used apartment as home-office and once when moving to the location of the company I work with now). For both I had to pay agents commission for finding the apartment.
B) On moving out of the first apartment I had to pay cleaning/maintenance costs.
C) When making the career change decision I sought professional advice.
So I am wondering if I am wright to deduct both estate agent commission fees, the cleaning costs and the counselling fees as business expenses, as these are all business / career related.

A) No chance - you were paying to move HOME, that's a personal expense. If I took up a new PAYE job, or decided to move closer to my current one to reduce my commute, I wouldnt get a tax deduction for it, why should someone who happens to be self-employed?

B) No chance - see 1 above.

C) Unlikely - depends on what they billed you for - the test is whether the expense is wholly and exclusively laid out for the purposes of a trade. Getting advice about your career prospects wouldn't be for the purpose of the trade you were carrying on. Getting advice on how best to proceed IN the trade, would be.

Given the OPs very broad definition of what qualifies as a business expense and Revenues very narrow view particularly in relation to motor expenses and place of work for contractors I would strongly suggest the OP review their returns with a professional.

Ok, thanks for your replies.
I guess I was just hoping. I know from Germany, that everybody can deduct expenses incurred from job seeking or changing, so any kind of career advice, travel costs to interviews, removal costs or other things.
This kind of motivates you to try career steps. (But I suppose in some things the Germans are more in need of motivation than the Irish...)

Back