Self-Employed entitled to anything from SW?

newo

I left my job to start up my own business as a sole trader. It's a professional service, and it is going to take me quite a while to build up a client base and start making money, I have enough money to last me about 4-5 months if I didn't get one client.

Does anyone know if I would be entitled to anything at all from anywhere while I'm not making any money - I'm guessing not.

Thanks

as far as i know you must approach your local health board clinic and explain your circumstances.. they offer assistance i believe

as far as i know you must approach your local health board clinic and explain your circumstances.. they offer assistance i believe

Health Board? Is that not just for people unable to work due to health issues?

means tested, as long as you've got cash you wont get anything. Unsure if you choosing to leave job comes into play as well?

means tested, as long as you've got cash you wont get anything. Unsure if you choosing to leave job comes into play as well?

The means test has nothing to do with it (and it's not true that if you have cash you will not get anything; the first 20k of savings is disregarded).

In principle, you will not be able to claim JA as you are not available for/looking for work due to being self-employed. However, there are circumstances where self-employed peopel, who are not fully employed or earning over the means limit, can claim JA to make up difference. I woyld suggest a chat with the Sw people in your local office to see if you have any options in your circumstances.

Back