Self catering unit versus buy to let

nad

Hi
Just wondering what the pro's and con's would be with regard to using an investment property as a holiday home rental i.e. self catering unit for weekly rental, as opposed to a normal buy to let property.

Rental season for holiday properties is very short in Ireland. Go to somewhere like Enniscrone in March or October to see what I mean.

You really need to look at some figures for tourism numbers to see if this is for real. What are the local attractions festivals, etc

Perhaps if near a third level college you could do weekly lettings in the summer and term lettings for the winter.
Who handles the housekeeping, deposits, waste removal, key handover?
Are you providing laundry, towels etc?

I have been down this road and I wouldn't do it again.

At the time it was post-Bacon report 1 and mortgage interest relief was not available on investment properties generally. I bought one which came under the seaside resort scheme (sort of a special case of Section 23) on which interest relief was still available.

Income from holiday lets was sporadic, and subject to lots of extra costs like cleaning between lets, management fees and commissions, registration with Bord Fáilte, etc.

It would have been a lot less trouble and certainly higher income to do normal long term lets, but it was a condition of the tax relief that the property had to be available for holiday lets. In the absence of that sort of tax relief, it would definitely not have been worth the hassle.

The one other reason one might consider this is to have the property available for one's own use from time to time. I still think you'd be better off separating the issues of investment and holiday use. Get a property for long term let and use the rental income to rent a holiday home from someone else!

Gonk has the full picture. You need to factor in some value on your own time managing the short term lettings or you pay someone to do it for you which erodes the margin. then you have all the additional costs popping up as he outlined.

Eyes wide open has to be the motto here.

Back