self build an a budget

I Agree!! Insulation Priority.

Agree with all mummo has said above especially re haggling - you can get 20% off goods from hardware stores maybe more. Tradesmen are crying out for work too.

Still fear for your budget though - I think it will be very tight / impossible to get it finished to any standard at tha price. Can you finish ground floor and not upstairs ?

I advise that whatever you cut costs on you don't skimp on insulation. - You will pay in oil or gas if you do. My advice - put in more insulation in every area than is the current regs. good luck

I Agree!! Insulation Priority. Even if you dont get the finer things you will at least not burn your money on fuel if you get good insulation.

put you insulation on top of your list if money is tight cut back on things like doors kitchen bathrooms but heating wiring and insulation are the most important if they aren't right your bills will be high and you'll never enjoy your home.

you can alway put in a small kitchen and in a few years put in the one of you dreams.
hope this helps

Approximate cost of a storey and a half 2400square foot house???

We are planning to build a 2400square foot house in North Kerry in the coming year. It is a storey and a half with no stone. I would love to get any feedback from people who have built similar size/type house and the cost involved? Like everyone these days we would like to save money on the build and do feel that we should be able to get a good price in this recession.
What do people feel would be a good builders finish price on this house? We would prioritise insulation, double glazed windows, red deel skirting, stairs etc.
Also, could we save money realistically by going direct labour?

We are planning to build a 2400square foot house in North Kerry in the coming year. It is a storey and a half with no stone. I would love to get any feedback from people who have built similar size/type house and the cost involved? Like everyone these days we would like to save money on the build and do feel that we should be able to get a good price in this recession.
What do people feel would be a good builders finish price on this house? We would prioritise insulation, double glazed windows, red deel skirting, stairs etc.
Also, could we save money realistically by going direct labour?
with the advent of the new building legislation
http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentHousing/BuildingStandards/News/MainBody,32735,en.htm and the new h&s legislation, I have stopped discussing 'self-builds' on 'new builds' with my clients.

I would strongly suggest you get a full and detail tender package from arch & eng before seeking prices from builders. and if you haven't already get a BER provisional assessment done before this tender package is complete - it IS difficult to meet the current building regulations and it gets more expensive if the regs are only considered during actual build.

If saving money is your goal, give the builder (ie main contractor) the sole responsibility for the basic 'shell' of the house, up to and including commissioning of M&E services, MVHR/ air-tightness. then if you wish manage the finishes: flooring,fitted furniture, kitchen, tiling, painting, landscaping etc on yourself. make sure you employ a good architect to oversee and provide the correct certification in line with the new regs.

i fail to see under the new regs how anyone will get a mortgage payment realised, unless (at a minimum) the above is carried out. And even then, you would want to carefully plan and have agreements in writing with both bank and architect as to how the finishes etc are signed off and paid for.

Back