Seeking roof barge detail

Roundy#

Looking for a concrete barge detail for a traditional A cut roof, at the gables. Will be hopefully using natural slates.

Does anyone have recommendations? or are there any construction details to be found on the internet?

Hi Roundy#, I would be very interested in seeing this too, I have that detail in my house but I've had bother with it, it's leaking! My builder is coming back to re do it, the flashing was not put on correctly underneath the concrete so be very careful with that part. I've found several sites that show different kinds of roof construction but I haven't found one that does the barge detail.

Roundy, I've had barges built on my new home of 1 year - so far no problems, There are quite a few ways of doing them and again like yourself I could het no info in advance.

I've looked at barge detail in many houses and they vary in detail from builder to builder and even from county to county. I particilarly like the detail on many Dingle - Slae Head properties

As far as I can gather - the barge acts as a moisture bridge across the cavity and minimising moisture passing through is key to a successful barge.

Some things to look out for --

--the height of the barge off the slates
--the clearance from the blockwork - mine is 75mm
--the flashing to the slates
--how is the cavity closed before the shuttering for pouring

Hope this is of help

from the Homebond book
(pictures taken with camera)

[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

Good pics, but I believe Roundy is looking for detail of a concrete barge, which is a strip of concrete laid along the gable edge of the roof, from the apex down to the eaves. The concrete sometimes overlaps the slates, or else is dressed with flashing between it and the slates. Do you have such a detail available, davidoco?

Thanks all so far. Your right extopia, I'm looking for a concrete barge/strip on the gable ends.
Ted i think the typical barge details for slea head area, would be a typical coastal area detail - i.e a varly high barge, probably in the region of a full block height above ridge level. would I be right??
The detail I'm looking for, would be for a more subtle plinth - probably 75mm to 100mm above the ridge level. This will make the barge more difficult to seal from water, as I'd imagine lapping the lead over will be tricky.

Thanks all so far. Your right extopia, I'm looking for a concrete barge/strip on the gable ends.
Ted i think the typical barge details for slea head area, would be a typical coastal area detail - i.e a varly high barge, probably in the region of a full block height above ridge level. would I be right??
The detail I'm looking for, would be for a more subtle plinth - probably 75mm to 100mm above the ridge level. This will make the barge more difficult to seal from water, as I'd imagine lapping the lead over will be tricky.

Hi Roundy#
I was just reading your post and i would be grateful for any photos or sketch details you may have in relation to this. i am undertaking a similar project in which a defective barge detail needs to be replaced and i would be very grateful for any such info.
Regards
Peadar

Back