Secondary Teacher - "PRD Underpayment 09"

Marathon Man

Mrs MM got her fortnightly payslip today, with a relatively small deduction on it listed as "PRD Underpayment 09".

She rang the Dept. payroll section this afternoon and was told that there would be a further deduction in her next pay cheque. I spoke to the person in the payroll section. [I was a) wondering what the deduction was, and b) concerned at tax implications for 2009 and/or 2011].

He said that the deduction was "on the employer side" and I asked why an employer contribution was being taken from an employee? He then consulted someone else and said that it had "no effect on gross pay", to which I responded that it affected net pay and had a tax implication. I asked if the matter would be dealt with by way of a reissue of the 2009 P60 or the 2011 P60. He denied that this was the case, even though it is claimed to be a "Pension Related Deduction".

In the end he said that I should ring someone else tomorrow.

This is all very, very strange. It appears that a number of people in the payroll section are both confused and also not clear at all on what this "PRD Underpayment 09" is, and what the pension and tax implications are.

Can anyone throw some light on this?

I actually got a PRD refund last year in week 25 as far as I remember (I'm forthightly too). When I got the refund I rang payroll as I get the exact same money every 2 weeks. The guy in payroll tried to explain it but it was a bit too much for me. In summary, as a deduction it's a nightmare and revenue won't touch it. it. Thus it does't appear on the P60 or P45. What is issued is a PRD 60 or PRD 45.

From the little I know, it's for the employer to sort so her PRD 60 should reflect the amount she paid. I'm not aware if the employer can or should re issue a PRD 60 for a previous year or how one would go about getting the relief due in tax in the case of a underpayment of PRD.

Last night, I came across a link on the ASTI website to [broken link removed].

In addition to the current deductions for 2009, it looks like there will be deductions, yet to come, for 2010 and 2011.

Fwiw, I reckon it's pretty poor practice to be revisiting pay nearly 3 years after the event.

Back