Second hand car from dealer, what to offer?

terrysgirl33

Sort of a silly question here. I'm thinking of buying a car, I'm thinking (though I haven't decided) on a toyota yaris. What I want is a cheap car to run, that will take five people in an emergency, mainly for going to and from work. I've seen a 2002 one with 41k miles on the clock at a dealer for €6,500. Would it be worth making them an offer? How much would be reasonable? Where would it be reasonable to start?

Note, at this stage I may or may not decide to make an offer on this car, I have limited experiance of buying cars and am looking to know where to start!

Have a look on carzone.ie to get an idea of what`s available, just click on `used cars` and put in `toyota- yaris -2002` and you will get a fair spread of prices and mileage etc...good luck with your purchase.

...and bear in mind that the asking prices from both dealers and private sales will usually be optimistic.

You've got to know exactly what the car is worth? Use Revenue VRT calc. Carzone etc. are well ott normally.

Ask dealer "How much for cash?" Take it from there, but haggle hard. Be nice though and have fun. Dealer will be desperate to sell you any car.

Tell them "I've seen one with lower miles, cheaper, better colour/spec".

Tell them eventually "I might be interested, but not at that money". If they ask "what do you want to pay?" fire in a figure of maybe €5100?

Play ping pong after that.

Hmm. It's coming much lower than the AA 'book' value (I rang up the AA and asked them the value of a different car today, just checked that car on the vrt calculator, mind you the vrt calculator seems more accurate).

We have been looking at 7-seaters from dealers and none seem willing to budge on price at all, happy for us to walk away.

Maybe it is different depending on make of car?

Back