Sealing marble countertops

dj01

We put marble countertop's in our new build last year. They were sealed when the guy installed them, but he didn't say whether they need to be re-sealed for protection in the future. I'm trying to get in touch with him but he's on holidays currently and I'd like to do this asap if needed as we are expecting our first child anytime now!

Does anyone if marble worktops needs to be sealed periodically to protect it from dulling/etching?

thanks.

Yeah they do. I recently got granite worktops in and asked our installer the very same question. For granite he told us some people never do them but he recommends every 2-3 years and that should suffice. We have a marble (creme marfil newly installed) fireplace and he recommended we also seal that and we should do every 12 months as marble is softer and more likely to stain than granite.

He uses Lithofin (stainstop) to seal his stone. He told us we could use any natural stone sealant but in his opinion Lithofin was the best. We bought it to seal the fireplace and ended up doing the travertine in the bathroom and new floor grout with it and it looks like it goes a very long way so we can redo fireplace and counter a few times. It cost 50e in a tile shop but well worth it IMO when compared with the cost of the stone.

Good luck with Baby BTW!!

Back