SEAI & Home Refurbishment Tax Break?

mrsg09

hi all

looking for some advice please. we are currently undertaking an extensive extension / refurbishment of our home, it is about 20 years old.

we will be applying for the tax break on the maximum 30K with regard to the building works.

my question is, we are upgrading our insulation and putting in a new boiler as well, are we entitled to apply for seai grants with regard to boiler and insulation as well as the tax back on the construction costs?

thanks in advance

If you search Revenue.ie site for SEAI in the top right you will find:

If work is grant aided or if any form of insurance or compensation is received
in respect of the work, the amount of relief will be reduced

in a document entitled 15-01-43
example 11 on page 12 of said document does the math

Thank you for the advice

The work we are doing is in excess of 100k. Could I have boiler upgrade and insulation billed separately to construction work and thereby avail of both?

Many thanks in advance

I am sure you could go for different bills.
However rest assured that the Revenue will be more than aware of such issues so I suspect the wording on the different declarations may cover this off.
Its not rocket science to match addresses, PPS numbers, etc.
So the question remains: is it worth the small amount, which if I understand it correctly is 13.5% VAT of the grant over 2 years, involved here when you are spending 100k, is it worth the risk of being flagged for a Revenue audit across all your enterprises?
As Clint says in the movie: Are you feeling lucky...:)

I am sure you could go for different bills.
However rest assured that the Revenue will be more than aware of such issues so I suspect the wording on the different declarations may cover this off.
Its not rocket science to match addresses, PPS numbers, etc.
So the question remains: is it worth the small amount, which if I understand it correctly is 13.5% VAT of the grant over 2 years, involved here when you are spending 100k, is it worth the risk of being flagged for a Revenue audit across all your enterprises?
As Clint says in the movie: Are you feeling lucky...:)

Whoa there now, I think you're overstating the issue slightly here!

The HRI is available on qualifying expenditure, with the credit only being available up to a maximum of €30k of such expenditure.

Where a Govt grant is received, the amount of qualifying expenditure is reduced by 3 x the grant amount (see example 11 from manual 15-01-43 [broken link removed] )

In this case the qualifying expenditure will be over 100k, and I'm assuming the grant from SEAI will be at most a few thousand - even if it was 10k when you multiply it by 3 and take it from 100k that still leaves 70k of qualifying expenditure.

So there is no problem here, as the OP will clearly remain above the 30k cap for qualifying expenditure.

Back