SCSB Calculation - Break in service

1dave123

Hi Folks

In the SCSB formula is the multiplier based on continuous service or can broken service be taken into account.

Here's an example

* A person works for 5 years for Company A then leaves and works for Company B for 3 years

* They return to Company A for 9 years before being made redundant by Company A

In the SCSB formula is the multiplier 9 ? .......... or is it 14 (5+9) ?

There is no relationship between Company A and Company B.

My suspicion is that it is 9 ..... but I have been unable to find anything definitive so far that says the service with Company A has to be continuous.

I have seen references to 'career break' and the suggestion is that the pre and post career break service can be added together ...... but 'career break' is not defined in this context

Has anyone encountered this particular scenario who may shed some light

Many thanks

Last edited:
I may be wrong and you should check out Revenue, but I don’t think that the scenario you present would be considered a “break in service” with Company A.

I would consider the first and second periods with Company A to be completely separate offices or employments.

The first employment with Company A terminated after 5 years.

Three years later, the second employment, in respect of which the termination payment would apply, lasted for 9 years.

On that basis, I think 9 years service would be used.

SCSB is calculated by reference to the service in respect of which the termination payment is made. In this case that would be 9 years.

When applying years service to the formula, does it have to be 'full years completed' or could you put in partial e.g. 12.5 years service

When applying years service to the formula, does it have to be 'full years completed' or could you put in partial e.g. 12.5 years service

The legislation (or rather Schedule 3 to the Act) stipulates "complete years", so no unfortunately.

Mandelbrot

Please count to 10 or maybe 11 before reading!! I don't mean to annoy you and I know the chances of you being right are very very very high but......

(a) where does it say specifically in the Act that only the latter period of service counts?
(b) what happens if the ex-gratia severance was based on combined service?
(c) what happens if pension was granted on a DB basis for the combined service?
(d) what if the Tax Free Lump Sum (and its present value) was based on combined service?

TCA 1997, Sch 3 provides reliefs from the charge to income tax imposed under section 123.

Section 123 imposes a charge to income tax in respect of certain payments received on the termination of an office or employment.

Opinions were given based on the circumstances presented by the original poster.

In that situation, it is difficult see how the second period with Company A could be considered a resumption of the same office or employment.

“Continuous service” is really determined by employment law and associated case law.

^^^

What that guy said. In the case outlined by the OP it is quite clearly 2 distinct employments separated by a period of time spent in other employment.

Mandelbrot

Please count to 10 or maybe 11 before reading!! I don't mean to annoy you and I know the chances of you being right are very very very high but......

(a) where does it say specifically in the Act that only the latter period of service counts?
(b) what happens if the ex-gratia severance was based on combined service?
(c) what happens if pension was granted on a DB basis for the combined service?
(d) what if the Tax Free Lump Sum (and its present value) was based on combined service?

(a) has been addressed - it will be a question of fact what office or employment the payment is made in respect of;
(b),(c) & (d) all stem from (a), if they're based on what you call "combined service" it must be because there was only one office or employment.

(a) has been addressed - it will be a question of fact what office or employment the payment is made in respect of;
(b),(c) & (d) all stem from (a), if they're based on what you call "combined service" it must be because there was only one office or employment.

Many old style DB schemes Trust Deeds allow different periods of service to be combined as long as benefits had not been taken at the previous leaving of service.
I think this is what is confusing the OP.

Back