School confiscating phone for 1 week? Is this allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shootingstar

Are the school within their right to confisate a phone for a week? Surely the parent is entitled to take the phone back (and agree that the student wont "do it again")

Im asking for the LAW on this, not an opinion :D. Thanks all x

It is in the school rules but I still dont think they can legally do this...

The legal eagles can correct me on this but my understanding is that the item is handed over voluntarily by the school child in question when asked for.

It is not therefore theft, which is the usual argument I hear in these discussions.

I know you are looking for a legal opinion but as you probably know legal issues not straightforward. In effect that' why we have courts and the oucome of legal cases which the law refer to as precidence to influence a particular judgement. In effect in this case the phone has not been stolen however, just temporarly held. In this instance I would guess that the school has a set of rules that you agreed to abide by when subscribing to send your child. Sometimes these rules may feel like they are not fair or even can be silly but my advice is not to get hung up on this no matter how much your child pesters you.
Remember that schools are dealing with disiplinary issues in a far better way than in the past and must retain some semblance of authority with the pupil. Withholding a phone for a week does seem excessive and perhaps in this case you need to approach the school saying that you will enforce this "punishment" by withhold phone use for a week yourself. You ensure that the lesson is learned and you as the parent are seen to be the one taking direct responsibility. And that's an opinion of course :D.

Shootingstar, I understand your frustration. We've come to depend on being able to communicate easily, and it's very inconvenient to be unable to contact children to arrange pickups from training, or just see where they are and what they're doing. The school is punishing the child but making life awkward for the parents at the same time.

Sorry folks as the OP has made an unreasonable specification that she does not want people's opinions, I am closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back