School closed for death of Teacher

I agree with Ron too, surely the day could be taken off another 'holiday/day off' schedule.

I worked in a place that closed down. We moved to a different place, most of us together but some not. A lady died who had gone to a different company, and all the people who worked with her in the old place was given time off to attend.

No problem with that at all. Its appropriate to show respect in that way. A large company may not close but a lot of them would allow people who knew the deceased time off to attend funeral. Small businesses would close for the day (or at least the morning of funeral)

In secondary on of my friends died over night and no-one found out until we attended school next morning and we were all called in to the assembly and told there would be a counsellor on hand later that day and that school was to be cancelled that day aswell. Most of us stayed around for the day because we were all in shock, alot of crying etc and none of us would have went to class if it pressed ahead. there would definitely been alot of resentment if the school puushed ahead it the days business after giving us that news. It doesn't have to about respect for the dead but what point is there having a school day when you know that there will be no work done. It is sensible to close. Peoples schedules may be interupted get over it and be thankful its not your child or family member who causes the interuption.

Just wondering what people think about my children's school been closed for a day this week due to the death of a teacher over the weekend.I know it can be an awkward one with the sad death of a teacher but for over 400 children to miss a day of school I think is a bit much.

All schools obliged to meet minimum number of days per year depending on sector so there's no fear your kids will lose out on their education so it's not a bit much at all. I suspect that your annoyance might stem from having to arrange for your kids to be minded as the educational babysitting service the school provides was withdrawn due to tragic personal circumstances. My view is that life is tragic, that empathy is required, and that your kids won't miss out, so move on.

But will they actually miss a day as the school must be open for X amount of days per year so the day will be filled in else where......But i'd have no problem with it at all.

Unless the rule has changed but I remember hearing a few years ago that a school can close for the death of a student or member of staff, and this day does not need to be made up later.

Back